It's time to learn how to ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have and ride two styles a harley sportster 1200 custom for comfort and the other is cbr 1000rr granted it is not comfortable but when you crack the throttle wide open you just don't care. I have had smaller bikes and with each one I wished I had a bigger one the first week.

As Jason Britton says there are two types of riders, those who have been down and those who are going down so think good equipment. Think about what your helmet is protecting. What is that worth to you? I wear arai they are expensive but the best. Here is a heads up on gear Motorcycle-superstore.com they have good prices and alot of clearance items at great prices.

iriediver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sv650, great starter bike. Performance cycle in Bethany. Great place to start. Would rather not sell you something than sell you crap. Give em a ring.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pics of the 990 Please................I may just be young and dumb but I love the HP

agkasper.smugmug.com_photos_377617245_54vKo_M.jpg

agkasper.smugmug.com_photos_377872581_zHTUa_M.jpg

agkasper.smugmug.com_Other_2007_KTM_990_Adventure_DSC2184_741858303_epF9C_L.jpg

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more..

Currently in the garage I have a KTM 990 Adventure and a WR250R.. Guess which saw the most miles both on and offroad last year.

Guess which one is about to be sold

The WR250R's put out a whopping 23ish HP, but will run my big ass (250+) down the highway ALL DAY at 75+ MPH. Like BP referred to earlier, I rode it last May from Tulsa to New Mexico all the way on dirt, completely loaded to camp for a 5 night trip, hauling extra fuel etc. in a 1500 mile round trip I never wished I had more displacement.

We also took off one morning and road a day across AR via all the twisty roads to start our return route via the AR section of the TAT, I've done the same on my 990.. the overall trip was more fun on the little bike.

Sure having crazy amounts of power at the twist of the wrist is great, but at some point in your riding life it stops meaning as much to you.

agkasper.smugmug.com_Other_2010_OK_NM_TAT_RIDE_DSC2960_862875065_meHnf_L.jpg

agkasper.smugmug.com_photos_497189837_xKQ4q_M.jpg

The older I get, the less displacement I need..

Oh yeah Claric... be careful about selling that STi you might just end up regretting it.... I did :-(

agkasper.smugmug.com_Cars_2004_Subaru_WRX_STi_IMG2118_119490731_UNVZM_M.jpg

I said a 250cc would get someone around just fine, 75mph is the fastest legal speed anywhere in Oklahoma. I was saying that if you buy a smaller bike, you are going to regret it after you learn to ride. you will want more power. My first bike was a 2003 GSXR750. I rode it for about a month, it was more than fast enough for legal speeds, but all my buddies had 1000cc's or Hayabusa's. So of course I was the slowest. I then went and bought myself a newer GSXR1000 and It is great. I can more than double the speed limit on the interstate

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I said a 250cc would get someone around just fine, 75mph is the fastest legal speed anywhere in Oklahoma. I was saying that if you buy a smaller bike, you are going to regret it after you learn to ride. you will want more power. My first bike was a 2003 GSXR750. I rode it for about a month, it was more than fast enough for legal speeds, but all my buddies had 1000cc's or Hayabusa's. So of course I was the slowest. I then went and bought myself a newer GSXR1000 and It is great. I can more than double the speed limit on the interstate

If you want to double the speed on the interstate most cruisers can do that:rolleyes2 If you want to do it in style buy a goldwing.

Anybody can point a bike down the highway and ride, many can even get to the highway without hurting themselves but it doesn't mean you know how to ride. Your advice is foolish and your choices show you were ego driven to keep up with the jones' instead of using your brain.

If you ever really learn to ride grab a 250 ninja and try to turn 1:42 lap times at hallet. It can be done but you actually have to know how to ride.

I'm with garand on the whole fast bike thing anymore. I have a 954RR but my wifes 600 is as fun if not more fun to ride than the big bike is, it doesn't constantly try to point the front wheel towards the sky. Oh and it can double the interstate speed as well. The most fun I have had in town was when a friend loaned me his KTM 690smr.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to double the speed on the interstate most cruisers can do that:rolleyes2 If you want to do it in style buy a goldwing.

Anybody can point a bike down the highway and ride, many can even get to the highway without hurting themselves but it doesn't mean you know how to ride. Your advice is foolish and your choices show you were ego driven to keep up with the jones' instead of using your brain.

If you ever really learn to ride grab a 250 ninja and try to turn 1:42 lap times at hallet. It can be done but you actually have to know how to ride.

I'm with garand on the whole fast bike thing anymore. I have a 954RR but my wifes 600 is as fun if not more fun to ride than the big bike is, it doesn't constantly try to point the front wheel towards the sky. Oh and it can double the interstate speed as well. The most fun I have had in town was when a friend loaned me his KTM 690smr.

That's what I'm sayin' ANY GSXR has more than enough power to be ridiculous fast. Unless your going to be on the track a 1000 is just a waste of both money and sense.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never been one to enjoy super high speeds. I could understand how straight lines could be fun but have always enjoyed hugging turns way more. I think of the 4 race cars I've built only one of them ever even saw the drags. I am more than likely going to meet a friend and ride his drz a bit this weekend. I'll see how I like it and go from there. I'll probably go ahead and sign up for msf this week as well

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get more than a 250 no doubt. My first street bike was a 650 Seca and even though I only weighed about 135 at the time, I still outgrew it pretty quickly. For a 200+ pound person, you'd be suprised at how little power a 250 will offer you. You'll be quickly realizing that you need something more.

Anyway... good luck and keep the rubber side down, shiny side up.

OH... and don't forget to put down your kickstand when you park. When I first started riding street bikes, I ended up dumping mine a couple of times just out of pure stupidity sitting talking after I stopped and forgetting to put the stand down when I got off... duh.

Latest posts

Top Bottom