Why not get a bike?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
If you get one and get the training be sure to practice emergency stops and swerves. It will save you….a lot. Between 2011 and 2019 I rode over 150k miles all around the nation. I had never ridden before 2010. I’d love to have another bike but keep talking myself out of it. I had 1 crash in Monterey Komifornia when an illegal idiot turned left into me. I wasn’t hurt but my Road King was totaled. I had a lot of close calls but kept it upright the rest of the times. Nothing like a bike on a fun twisty road. I’ve been eyeing that Honda Gold Wing in the classifieds.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife's first vehicle was a 1979 Yamaha but in red an XS400
1691195929562.png

I met her and that is all she had for transportation and learned to ride it in a field.
I had a TC 90 Suzuki I learned on and when i met her I had a 1979 400LTD Kawasaki in black with sissy bar and crash bar and vetter fairing
Here is a stock looking one.
Both of those bikes would get better than 65 MPG and comfy to ride on long trips.

1691196148243.png

Be nice to find a cheap well taken care of one of those today.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Kawa versys 650 for a while and it would probably fit the bill for your use case. It was great around town. Ok, but not great on interstate for longer trips. Lots of bag/luggage options. I think it was a pretty good starter bike.

Are you a good driver on 4 wheels? Ie no wrecks? Some people seem to sense when others are going to do something stupid, and some don't. That's a pretty good thing to have on a bike.

The two fender benders I've had on 4 wheels in my adult life were both getting rear ended when stopped. I knew both were going to happen several seconds before they did- watched them come up in my rear view mirror. On a bike I always set up with an escape path and watch my mirrors like a hawk until I see the car behind stopping.

All that said to say, take an honest assessment of your driving skills.

Bikes are more dangerous than cars, obviously. But you start looking at the fatalities and accidents and you'll see that half (don't quote me) involve alcohol use by the rider. And a bunch of folks don't ever wear a helmet. In other words, a lot of it is self inflicted, or can at least be mitigated by riding smart.

Good luck!

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned Hondas, Buell and Harley, these days I would seriously look at Triumph, Indian and Royal Enfield. Get a bike you can sit on feet flat on the ground
Rider safety course
buy good riding gear and wear it, wear gloves and quality boots, no flip flops, crocks or light shoes
full face helmets can save you from facial road rash, flying rocks, road trash and bumblebee stings
learn to see a cars wheels turning when it is supposed to be stopped at intersections and driveway pullouts, subtle car rolling out not as easy to catch as seeing a wheel slowly rolling
learn to ride real slow with feet on the pegs and become balanced, I used to be able to stop at a stop sign and not put a foot down, but cops look to see the foot down
anybody can ride a motorcycle fast but finesse at slow speed will save your butt and make for better handling at all speeds
Suave AloeVera hair conditioner is good to use on road rash to help it heal.
I used motorcycle for work commute for many years, never doubt that everyone on the road will run over you or crowd you into a curb or guardrail
taking the ditch beats hitting a vehicle
DEER, they will kill you
carry a tool roll, duct tape, spare fuses, tire plug kit
learn as much as possible about your bike mechanical well being
buy the best quality tires you can

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpeg
    IMG_0168.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife's first vehicle was a 1979 Yamaha but in red an XS400
View attachment 399082

I met her and that is all she had for transportation and learned to ride it in a field.
I had a TC 90 Suzuki I learned on and when i met her I had a 1979 400LTD Kawasaki in black with sissy bar and crash bar and vetter fairing
Here is a stock looking one.
Both of those bikes would get better than 65 MPG and comfy to ride on long trips.

View attachment 399083

Be nice to find a cheap well taken care of one of those today.
them old LTD's were nice.. Had a KZ 750 twin great bike.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rode dirt bikes for years before I ever road a street bike. My wife told me one day I was spending $100 a month just driving my Land Rovers to work. So, I bought a Honda XR650L dual sport. First ride out of the driveway a car backed out in front of me. After that I had the mind set of every car is out to get me and never had any problems. The Honda ran like crap so, I had it dynoed which made it run much better. That caused the mileage to go way down so I sold it and bought a Fiat 500S that will do 41 mpg on the highway. I'd like to have a big KTM dual sport bike just for some light trail riding and short road trips but, now that I'm near 70 I'll never get one. I really miss riding the dirt.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got this the last time gas went through the roof, 81 MPG the best so far and not entirely broken in yet. Can haul me and 200 lbs on the back. Just using it as a local grocery getter now, wouldn't try freeway speeds at all but once broken in 65 should be attainable easily.
TW 200.JPG

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
been about 15 years ago or so a guy riding a harley pulls up beside be while i was standing in a parking lot next to a motorcycle for sale...... he idles up and pulls the cigarette butts out of his ears flips up his aviator glasses and says " nice scoot man" then just coasts off and away. i returned to putting the stuff i bought in my truck and left.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a good old used Sportster would be just the ticket. I ride mine daily and I've been super happy with it. Just get a good helmet and call it a day. 👍 A sportster can be just about anything you wanna make it. I've seen dudes chop them like the old school 70s bikes, I've seen dudes build them up like dual sport bikes, I've seen guys ride them stock for years and be perfectly happy with them.
I love mine, and won't sell it. 6'-5" tall, and probably look giant on it, but don't care - I love the thing. Sold my Dyna last year and kept the Sporty if that says anything. The Evo is a cockroach of an engine, and the bikes in general give very little trouble (regardless of what the HD haters say).

Latest posts

Top Bottom