Why not get a bike?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotta have a faring if you ride on the highway. Bees hurt more when the hit than when they sting. Wasps sting and bite repeatedly, Rain really hurts at highway speeds and with a faring you actually only get wet at stop signs and traffic signals and trucks passing. Just kidding, you get soaked.

:bolt:

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re wanting to actually commute, the dual-sports will get old fast. If you’re wanting to actually hit trails, any streetbike will suck. For that matter if you’re really wanting to off-road most dual sports will suck compared to real dirtbikes… If you love power/speed, cruisers will feel lame. Etc.. it’s like boats, no one-size fits all. You must know what experience you’re after and buy accordingly.

On that note, it’s perfectly normal to buy a certain bike, then sell it a year or two later and try something else. Eventually you’ll find a bike that fits your style and needs.

If you’re still young and you like power, I’d say get a sportbike. They’re not actually as uncomfortable as these old farts make them out to be… my ‘07 zx10r was plenty comfortable to me at age 26… did lots of 4hr+ rides. 100mph wheelies really get the adrenaline pumping lol.. it’s like a superpower, it’s like flying!

Forget saving money or being practical.. bikes are toys… especially in Oklahoma.

Riding is an amazing feeling! Commuting on a bike is certainly possible, but it’s not practical or safe in all reality

I was on dirtbikes since age 11 and did sportbikes/dualsports/supermotos/cruisers/ATVs from ages 16-30. I’m 35 now… kinda been thinking about another bike lol, purely as a toy. Possibly a crossplaned crank 2010+ Yamaha R1

Newer sportbikes are full of electronic nanny features. Find a low miles well kept bike in the 2000-2014ish range if ya want a raw sportbike.

I got off bikes because of too many speeding tickets and near death experiences lmao. Off-road stuff is much safer really… if ya just wanna fly.

Best of luck

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do the MSF course, a lot of knowlege handed out. I've been riding over 50 years and the big change was when cell phones started taking off, gotta really pay attention to where a cage driver is looking. Agreed on the one, jack of all trades bike wont do it all, going to be a bit uncomfortable on long rides and a bit unwieldy in the dirt. If they weren't so tall I love to try an Africa or Tenere and have been eyeballing the Royal Enfield Scram or Himalayan for the seat height.

Last edited:

JRR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sportster.
Had an 2019 1200C Sportster. Sold after 4 months, roughest riding thing I've ever owned. My Gold wing was great but big. Here's what I replaced the sports tee with. Honda shadow phantom. Love it.

Attachments

• IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 0

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma is a terrible state for owning a motorcycle that isn't a couch cushion on top of an engine measured in cubic inches instead of cc.

In other words - the fat boys rolling around on loud cruisers just kind of makes sense here since any other kind of riding is pretty much out of reach.

Lots of flat and straight roads, severe winds except for maybe 2 weeks in spring, 2 weeks in fall... You can make it work on a lightweight bike but it gets tiring trying to fight the wind...

Take the MSF course which will teach you proper fundamentals and also get you an insurance discount.
Head to Arkansas or Missouri for some great mc roads. When I lived in Tulsa we used to do a day trip east into at am d mo. 5-600 miles no sweat on my FJR yammer hammer

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave up riding in 2020. I have some gear I will make a great deal on. I am about 5'10" 230 31" inseam. Have leather jacket (free) needs a seam repaired with leather pants with pads. Sport bike or crotch rocket style. Black. Also have jacket and pants that are kevlar blend with rain liners and I dilated liner. Gloves also. Hit me up if you are interested. I am in Edmond.

Latest posts

Top Bottom