Why not get a bike?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good rider can take a street bike off road.
I jumped my V45 Magna many times on the jeep trails around Draper lake.
Liquid cooled kept temps in check.
No mud bogs though just hills and through some trees etc.

XR650R is a true dual sport bike but an 80 mile trip will wear you out.
The Magna you are not worn out.
If you have time to go play off road you must have money in your pocket to do it.
You are also young and that 650R may not wear you out.

Ninjas wore me out even on 30 mile rides. Just not comfy.
I loved my V45 and V65 Magnas.
Nothing wrong with a sporster either.
Keep the bolts all tight.

Take the course mentioned and you pass it and no state driving test will be needed.
When my son took it they had 125cc bikes.
A 250 rebel is a good bike also but I tweaked my son's because we are 6 foot tall.
A windshield really makes long trips enjoyable.
We always had good Snell helmets with good vents.

You can see better as your eyes are not watering and wind not blowing right across your ears so you can hear sounds well and in the winter time it helps from getting cold ears and ear infections.

Leather jacket for sure.
You can wet down your shirt and slip on the leather jacket and zip it up and unzip the sleeves.
Air will blow up the cuffs and it will be like air conditioning swamp cooler style on your skin with the wet shirt.
Good for more than 20 miles.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with a 175 enduro when i was 21 and had never been on a bike in my life just walked into a cycle shop and bought it and had them to deliver it to me, road it around the yard for a day or two to figure it out before hit some back street where their wasnt any traffic it was fun and light weight, then years later got a 1000 goldwing and kept it for several years havent been on a bike for over 30 years but when i had to get my cdl's for work and i was grandfather in they asked if any endorsements i wanted to add free of charge so i added the cycle just in case i ever decided to get another bike.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of my best memories were on a motorcycle. Had many over my younger years in which I rode everywhere. Sold my Harley somewhere around '93 and haven't been on one till about 3 months ago. Nephew brought up a Yz 125 to ride on the farm. Making some comment about me being too old to ride dirt bikes anymore. :yikes2: Ooh let me see that thing, I took off nice and slow across the pasture till out of site. I then rode it around till I felt good about my balance. Then came flying back till in sight of him, jumped a couple terraces, stand it up & wheelie a little ways( and dang near busted my butt but not gonna let him know that) then lay the bike down and cut 3 doughnuts. Then ride back to him like a bat out of hell, climb off the bike and say to him " next time bring something with some power"as I walked away with a big grin 🙂🙂🙂 on my face.
Man, didn't realize how much I miss bikes!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With all the idiots on the road today who think their cell phones are more important than a piddly little thing like driving a car, I wouldn’t be too keen on riding a motorcycle anywhere there would be a single car on the road, let alone dozens or hundreds. Twice in the past few years, I have personally seen an idiot with his or her nose buried in a phone plow right into the back of a car in front of them. It’s so bad, any more it’s just a matter of time before a moron who just has to respond to a text now ruins my day because of narcissistic and mentally myopic viewpoints - or rather, the lack of a viewpoint at all. If you do get a motorcycle, please ride like every single driver in your vicinity is going to make you into a hood ornament, thanks to the almighty “lol” or “omg” being sent right at that moment.

Makes me wonder how the heck the world survived 100 years of motoring without any cell phones.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, take the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. You will learn things you didn't even know to ask. As well when passed you won't have to take the driving portion of the test to get your endorsement. Also, most insurance companies give a discount if you've had the course. THEN the first accessory I recommend is a modulated headlight device. Mine has saved my ass so many times. The last thing I wanted to happen is for someone to be standing over my dead body saying "I never saw him"

Other tips.....I almost never ride the Interstates. I never take the bike to town, etc. only time I'm in town on it is when I'm just passing thru.

Tho I have a goldwing now, I really enjoyed my first Honda... a 350 SL (street and lane) good on the road and off road.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started with a 175 enduro when i was 21 and had never been on a bike in my life just walked into a cycle shop and bought it and had them to deliver it to me, road it around the yard for a day or two to figure it out before hit some back street where their wasnt any traffic it was fun and light weight, then years later got a 1000 goldwing and kept it for several years havent been on a bike for over 30 years but when i had to get my cdl's for work and i was grandfather in they asked if any endorsements i wanted to add free of charge so i added the cycle just in case i ever decided to get another bike.
Those old Enduro's were great

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I gave up motorcycling in 2006 after almost getting hit twice in less than 10 miles by teenagers on cellphones on US169 North of Owasso. I still miss it sometimes on nice days. Seems like the only way to be safe is with the cars/trucks in your rear view mirror.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've also been thinking about getting a bike for a while. Closest thing I have ever ridden is a moped my dad brought home from a junkyard when I was 14..

Latest posts

Top Bottom