Why not get a bike?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have been thinking about getting a motorcycle. I can drive just about anything, but I have never learned how to ride a motorcycle or fly an airplane/helicopter. Motorcycles are gonna be an awful lot cheaper to learn than getting a plane and a pilots license, as well as economical. At least I think.

So I don't have the space or finances to have both a truck and a fun/fuel efficient car. But a truck is an essential. A bike could also fit in the back, which is super cool. But, aside from all that, this is the situation:

My school to home commute is 40 miles, round trip. Last semester this was 3 days a week, this semester will likely be the same, and hopefully get a entry level job related to my new career path. The top three places I want to get a job/feel like I have the best opportunity of getting a job at are an 80 mile round trip, a 40 mile round trip, or a 5 mile round trip. My truck makes 13 MPGs, this driving business can get pricey, and if I could cut down some cost on it, while learning a new skill, I think its a win win.

I also imagine getting to take the bike out and adventure a little would be cool. For example, if I like to go out to Sandy Sanders WMA, where driving around in a truck suuuuuucks. But If I were to go set up camp somewhere that worked for me, rolled the bike off the back of the truck, and was able to get around via motorcycle life would be easier and likely more fun. Or when I go out west to explore BLM land. Some of those places allow for riding all over offroad. I don't know, I have lots of ideas.

So, is buying a cheap bike (<$4000ish) for maybe the school and work commutes a bad idea? Good idea? I understand drivers suck, "yer gunna die because dangol cell phones" etc etc. My thought process is that If I do buy a bike, I would want to buy a dual sport kinda bike, where I could ride on road for my normal stuff, and have the capability to take them anywhere.

Thoughts? What would you get? If I were to buy a street bike/dirt bike or whatever, could I slap some continental TKC 70's on it an be able to commute and then go down some dirt roads or gravel roads?

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a good old used Sportster would be just the ticket. I ride mine daily and I've been super happy with it. Just get a good helmet and call it a day. 👍 A sportster can be just about anything you wanna make it. I've seen dudes chop them like the old school 70s bikes, I've seen dudes build them up like dual sport bikes, I've seen guys ride them stock for years and be perfectly happy with them.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dual Sport Yes.. Helmet Always.. Stay vigilant. all directions.. Been Riding my whole life. stay away from traffic.
or be prepared to take evasive action! Enjoy!! great way to unwind!!! had a buddy that raced taught me alot about what to look for and how to stay safe. has payed off so far!.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also remember that you will have to do a driving test and get a endorsement on your DL for the bike, it has been years since i got mine and it was grandfathered in so really dont know the whole process now days.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Dual Sport Yes.. Helmet Always.. Stay vigilant. all directions.. Been Riding my whole life. stay away from traffic.
or be prepared to take evasive action! Enjoy!! great way to unwind!!! had a buddy that raced taught me alot about what to look for and how to stay safe. has payed off so far!.
Yep, you’ll get used to looking at where people have their hands positioned on the wheel or which direction their wheels are slightly cocked to determine what they are going to do.
Use your mirrors-constantly.
Blind spots are even bigger if you are on a bike

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If my legs weren't 29" inseam I'd have an Africa Twin in the garage. That was always my dream bike. Second best was the NC700X, as far as me being able to touch the ground...

Latest posts

Top Bottom