Joe Pa is gone. PSU trustees fire Paterno, Spanier

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

From the article you linked:

Why didn't anyone call the police?

It starts with the obvious: “People don’t want to be pulled into conflicts with others,” says Roy Lubit, M.D., Ph.D., a forensic psychiatrist in New York who treats victims of sexual abuse. “They especially want to avoid potentially difficult situations in the future, like going to court. So they tell themselves it’s not their business, or they cannot be sure what is going on, or convince themselves that someone else will take care of it.”

I call BS. These are footballers! They're aggressive, type A, dominant men who intentionally put themselves into physical conflict with other men for sport. They supposedly don't want to be involved in a conflict, particularly one where they could be the hero? Complete pop psychology crap.

But this situation is more complicated than that. “Organizations are also very self-protective,” adds Dr. Lubit. “The number-one rule is, Don’t embarrass the organization. Whistle blowers are often treated very badly.”

This, is the true reason. Contain the situation and mitigate the damage to the organization, which takes precedence over the victims. Those boys were sacrificed upon the altar of Penn State. Why do colleges have their own police departments? It's only partially because they want greater protection. The other very real part is so they can control the image of the college. No one wants to send their kid to a dangerous college. So many colleges have PD's that are politically hamstrung on investigating and reporting serious crimes. When defense of the institution trumps defense of innocent victims, then the very foundation of the institution is rotten and corrupted.

Every last man involved in this debacle is allegedly a leader of men. Yet none of them could bring themselves to protect the most vulnerable people in their charge. These men may be football and collegiate giants, but they are not leaders. Leaders do the right thing. Leaders protect the weak and vulnerable. Cowards protect themselves and their cohorts. They all disgust me beyond belief.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm 100% with JB on this one. A man puts it all on the line to save an innocent child. Period. My God, one kid possibly thought he was saved, then watched it walk away. Why didn't that man help me, am I not worth it? WTF? ( I do not know whether the victim actually saw McQueery or not, but the thought of it sickens me.) And it continued for more boys because Joe didn't make it impossible after he knew. $*@! the lot of the scum.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm 100% with JB on this one. A man puts it all on the line to save an innocent child. Period. My God, one kid possibly thought he was saved, then watched it walk away. Why didn't that man help me, am I not worth it? WTF? ( I do not know whether the victim actually saw McQueery or not, but the thought of it sickens me.) And it continued for more boys because Joe didn't make it impossible after he knew. $*@! the lot of the scum.

If the kid saw him that is EXACTLY what he thought ... and it has colored his life every single day since then.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This, is the true reason. Contain the situation and mitigate the damage to the organization, which takes precedence over the victims. Those boys were sacrificed upon the altar of Penn State. Why do colleges have their own police departments? It's only partially because they want greater protection. The other very real part is so they can control the image of the college. No one wants to send their kid to a dangerous college. So many colleges have PD's that are politically hamstrung on investigating and reporting serious crimes. When defense of the institution trumps defense of innocent victims, then the very foundation of the institution is rotten and corrupted.

The story linked below backs up what GTG posted about college PD.s, something to think about if you send your daughter to college, or believe in justice.

On Campus, a Law Enforcement System to Itself

[After the body of an Eastern Michigan University freshman was found in her dorm room in December 2006, naked from the waist down with a pillow over her head, the chief of the university police said there was “no reason to suspect foul play,” and let her parents believe she had died of natural causes.]

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/12/u...asy.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&ref=general&src=me

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting to note that if you google search "Boston Red Sox sex scandal" you'll see a story about a very similar situation about ten years ago listed on several sites that was posted two days ago, it's been pulled from all the sites.

Latest posts

Top Bottom