Keeping Bees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J.T., I sent you a PM. I've been researching beekeeping the last year or so. Attwoods in madill now sells hives and supplies. I know a couple local keepers, I haven't jumped into it yet because I don't have a place to keep a couple hives. I live in town.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just did my first split on Sunday. It's a blast. Got stung for the first time during the split and I have had them a year. Ususally don't suit up unless I am doing a full hive inspection. They are easy and entertaining. As to the distance, my mentor has 4 hives within 10 feet of his house and his wife mows right by them without getting stung. He claims that his queens have a docile trait, Sunkist is what he calls them. It's fun, but my first jar of honey will end up costing me about $500. But after that everything is free!

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rule #1. Never wander around your hives wearing a t shirt, shorts and flip flops
#2 Never take the top off the hive without first lighting your smoker
#3 Knock on the hive before you take off the top to see if they are in a good mood.
#4 It matters not how fast your riding mower is, You cant swat, steer and avoid trees at the same time.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Silly question: how many of you follow the state laws regarding permits, etc.? That's the big thing turning me off from looking into beekeeping, is the fees, taxes, permits, and inspections.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Silly question: how many of you follow the state laws regarding permits, etc.? That's the big thing turning me off from looking into beekeeping, is the fees, taxes, permits, and inspections.

In Oklahoma, registration is strictly voluntary. If you are keeping bees on your own property you do not need to register your hives. If you are keeping bees on property other than yours, with their permission of course, you need to have your name and address posted, so that the hives are not considered abandoned. If you live in town, you must follow any rules that that city has, in regards to keeping bees. As long as you are not a commercial operation, keeping bees is a pretty low key hobby, not much red tape involved.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Oklahoma, registration is strictly voluntary. If you are keeping bees on your own property you do not need to register your hives. If you are keeping bees on property other than yours, with their permission of course, you need to have your name and address posted, so that the hives are not considered abandoned. If you live in town, you must follow any rules that that city has, in regards to keeping bees. As long as you are not a commercial operation, keeping bees is a pretty low key hobby, not much red tape involved.

Ah I see. Last year I saw hives on several fields of Canola. All clusters of hives had a sign with owners name and phone number.

Does each hive have a queen or just one queen per cluster?

Latest posts

Top Bottom