Keeping Bees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Each hive has it's own queen. If the queen dies without a successor, or a larva that can be fed to develop into a queen, the hive dies. Worker bees can lay eggs, but they will only develop into drones (males). The queen is the only one that can lay eggs that will be female (workers). All worker bees are female. Only female bees can sting, as the stinger is a modified egg laying tube. Just goes to show you about females! LOL

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was riding a motorcycle a week ago on HWY 51 west of HWY 74 and noticed several hives stacked together about a 50- 75 yds from the road. Several bees struck my windshield and a couple were imbedded into my pant leg when I passed. I felt kinda bad for taking out those valuable little critters. Apparently, 75 yds is not enough distance from a highway.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Each hive has it's own queen. If the queen dies without a successor, or a larva that can be fed to develop into a queen, the hive dies. Worker bees can lay eggs, but they will only develop into drones (males). The queen is the only one that can lay eggs that will be female (workers). All worker bees are female. Only female bees can sting, as the stinger is a modified egg laying tube. Just goes to show you about females! LOL

Thank you for the education.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about taking out a few bees, in the summer a strong hive will have thousands of bees. They can range up to a couple of miles from the hive, in search of a food source. In the summer a worker bee only lives for a few weeks, they literally work their selves to death.

I was riding a motorcycle a week ago on HWY 51 west of HWY 74 and noticed several hives stacked together about a 50- 75 yds from the road. Several bees struck my windshield and a couple were imbedded into my pant leg when I passed. I felt kinda bad for taking out those valuable little critters. Apparently, 75 yds is not enough distance from a highway.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to get off my butt and build some Top Bar Hives. Not really wanting to produce honey, rather help out the bees survive. Read a report that Oklahoma list approx. 70% of all it's commercial bee hives last winter....

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it realistically possible to keep bees (and harvest honey) without ever getting stung? How often does it happen? How bad does it hurt?

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I knew a husband and wife (RIP) who kept bees for 30 years and never got stung.

Don't know if they could be called bee whisperers, but I think the average person could do this without getting stung

Latest posts

Top Bottom