knife fight... knowledge/training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there anyone in the OKC area that teaches the defence against, and the use of, a knife in a fight. I don't mean someone who thinks they know. I don't mean fancy, showy BS. I mean practcal, real world, been there done that knowledge and experience. Someone who is not afraid to truly teach.

By OKC AREA I mean from Edmond to Norman and Yukon to MWC. If their background checks out, cost is a secondary concern. Legitimate responces by PM are ok. I've had training in the employment of firearms, I want to expand my abilities.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Krav Maga has down-to-earth defense techniques for weapons (knives, clubs and firearms). Nothing flashy - just what works for the Israeli's armed forces/commandos. I took a KM seminar about 14 years ago and it was very easy to learn for rifle and pistol disarming. The main thing I remember about the knife disarming was "you will get cut" - seems crazy, but pistol disarming if done right is easier than knife disarming if done right (you can grab a pistol/rifle and not get injured as long as you redirect the muzzle, but almost anywhere you grab an attacker's knife you are going to get cut). Of course you could run into the individual KM instructor who gets all Hollywood.
I tried to learn some knife fighting as a kid by getting an Army hand-to-hand combat manual and practicing with rubber knives with my friends/brothers. Basically, slash and move, throw dirt or debris in his face, get large objects between you, wear cut-resistant leather, leather arm bands, etc. The hardest to defend against is the brute force stabbing attack in a confined space - then size and aggression really matter. Even with a stab wound through the heart the attacker can still kill you before he dies. I recently saw a video from somewhere in South America where these two guys were knife fighting and one got stabbed in the heart and was still in the fight for 20-30 seconds before he started to fade out. He finally staggered like a drunk off to the side, knife still in hand, and died on the sidewalk shortly afterwards.

Mike Seeklander has a guy on his show that is supposed to be an expert (can't remember his name or if he's from around here).

If you can't find someone around your area I would suggest getting some knife fighting videos and books from Paladin Press and get someone to practice with you - a lot.

corwin1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll talk to a co-worker tomorrow and see if he can suggest something. I know he's done some private lessons, guest teaches at some local schools and I believe he teaches at Tinker. Kali and Silat are his background and close-in fighting is his thing. I'm pretty sure his credentials would pass muster with anyone. If he's not taking students he might know someone who is.

corwin1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll talk to a co-worker tomorrow and see if he can suggest something. I know he's done some private lessons, guest teaches at some local schools and I believe he teaches at Tinker. Kali and Silat are his background and close-in fighting is his thing. I'm pretty sure his credentials would pass muster with anyone. If he's not taking students he might know someone who is.

I didn't see him yesterday and won't have another chance for at least a couple of months. Sorry. I've heard that Haggerty's in Mid-West City has a bladed weapon program that law enforcement takes but I don't know if that's what you are looking for.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
static.srcdn.com_slir_w1179_h589_q90_c1179_589_wp_content_uploads_sean_connery_the_untouchables.jpg

"Isn't that just like a wop...brings a knife to a gunfight!" -Jim Malone

Latest posts

Top Bottom