Lawn Help - I think I'm being invaded!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had lots of moles and gophers at my acreage last year. There weren't any cats in the neighborhood because the coyotes had killed all of them. I got a cat from a friend who lived on a farm and within a couple of months I had no more dirt mounds.

I remember when I was a kid we moved to a house that had mounds all over the place. We had two cats and they made quick work of them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid we moved to a house that had mounds all over the place. We had two cats and they made quick work of them.

Cats are also the #1 invasive specie that kill wild upland birds when they run out of gophers or whatever.

Traps, and don't get suckered in to the cheap wannabe traps at ace hardware. Get the gophinator traps.
I'm into several hundred gophers over the last 20 some years at this house. If you need further instructions on how to set them, send me a pm when you get them.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard that Juicy Fruit gum will take care of your gopher problem.
Put a couple of sticks in the mounds.
Gopher's will eat it but can't digest it.

pretty soon, no more live gophers.

Dave

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad gives them a big dose of carbon monoxide. Perfectly sized hose that fits the exhaust of his 4 wheeler. Attach and put down the hole. Idle it up a bit and hold for about 2 min, fill the hole in, and move to the next hole.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a product (or was at one time) that involved injecting propane into their holes and then detonating it. Visalize "Caddyshack" for real.

Admittedly, it was for agrucultural applications, and might draw unwanted attention in an urban setting, to say nothing of destroying what's left of your lawn, but the effect was pretty spectacular.

Here are some similar links:

http://www.rodentblaster.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYTLm5bLfqw (channel 4 at its typical journalistic best . . . )

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Feral cat colony (all neutered) eliminates gophers, moles and voles. I have seen them "playing" with all three before dispatching them... I have seen them chasing the occasional dove or starling... the doves are too smart - the starlings, not so much.

LL

Latest posts

Top Bottom