Let's build a mid/longrange rig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've decided I want an all around decent bolt gun. And I want to build it.

I want it to perform on the range, I want to practice long range and take it out to 500-700 yards, and I want to to be mobile enough to take it hunting.
I would like to keep the weight under 12-14lbs.

It's gonna be built on a howa 1500 barreled action, .308 with a 20" #6 varmit barrel. I'm a bit lost on everything else though. I've never even handled a benchrest style stock with the vertical pistol grip, and it seems to be a bit on the awkward side to shoot offhand or to drag around in the woods/field.

I'm getting this rifle(from Hoov of course):
HWB23104+ .308 Win. 5+1 in chamber 20" #6 27.25 6.0 lbs. Short .825" 1-10" twist

I'm considering one of these scopes:

Crossfire II 6 - 18x44mm AO Riflescope, DEAD-HOLD BDC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00794LHTI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_RUMPvbCB78VG4

Burris 4.5 x-14 x -42mm Fullfield II Ballistic Plex Riflescope https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MM2QU8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_fVMPvbC5B1YKA

Millett 4-16x50 Illuminated Tactical Riflescope (30mm Tube, .1 mil Click), Matte https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003E8RXZA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_GVMPvbY5T14S6

Bottom metal/magazine setup from CDI, and it would allow me to use AICS magazines.

And I'm considering a stock of this flavor:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/142046/bell-and-carlson-medalist-light-tactical-rifle-stock-howa-1500-weatherby-vanguard-short-action-with-aluminum-bedding-block-system-varmint-barrel-channel-synthetic-black

But I've never handled anything like it. Any suggestions on where I can get my paws on one? I don't wanna buy it and decide I hate it. Any other suggestions? I would love an AICS stock, but I wanna keep my price on a stock under $500.

What other things am I forgetting, other than rings and bipods and such?
Any suggestions, products you love, or critiques? I will prob be looking at threading the barrel, I would like to surpress this setup in the future.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, you are spending too much on the stock and not enough on the scope. I would also strongly consider getting higher magnification if you want to reach out that far.

Before getting TH KRG X-Ray, I was looking at MDT's chassis. https://mdttac.com/lss-chassis-system.html Light weight, ready for AI mags. Just add an AR style stock and go.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, you are spending too much on the stock and not enough on the scope. I would also strongly consider getting higher magnification if you want to reach out that far.

Before getting TH KRG X-Ray, I was looking at MDT's chassis. https://mdttac.com/lss-chassis-system.html Light weight, ready for AI mags. Just add an AR style stock and go.

I honestly agree with you reguatding the glass. Do you have any suggestions?

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was gonna tell you to look for a HS precision take-off, but then I remembered you're getting a HOWA so that's out. The bell and carlson will probably serve you well, but might be a bit heavier than others. Many of them are solid throughout, unlike HS precision stocks which often have a hollow buttstock or McMillan that sometimes uses lightweight fill in large areas to save weight. If you do get the bell and carlson, there's a small chance you'll want to bed it down the road. The bedding block does not fit every action the same. It's basically guaranteed that it will work right out of the box, which is good. However, it may not be making full contact with the action, in which case bedding may help down the road.

As for glass, there are some good bang-for-the-buck options. The bushnell elite tactical series has some good options. The fixed 10x can be had for around $260. They also have an adjustable 5-15x version for about $470.
A step up from that could be the SWFA SS series. They have a huge range of features and prices.
The millet isn't too bad. I had one years ago right after they came out. The biggest gripe I had with it was setting the zero on the dials. The originals had a screw in the top, and it was near impossible to tighten the screw without spinning the dial. They have since fixed it.

I'm not a huge fan of BDC reticles or dials. Rather, depending on how precise you want to be, learn the drop at key ranges (or keep a chart on the gun), and dial up or holdover.

I have shot out to 750yds with only 10x, but there's no way I would have been able to put up "benchrest" type groups with that amount of power. For ringing steel, though, it was totally workable. Albeit, I'm not sure if I could have done it with that mag with crappy glass. Who knows.

You could probably get a zillion opinions on bases and rings. Pick a good quality one-piece base and bed it. Steel is the top, but really probably not necessary unless you are hard on the rifle. Same goes for rings.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are great deals out there, you just have to look and be willing to turn your wallet inside out. I just sold my Bushnell for $1350, which IMO was a killer price. Stocks for you rifle will not be as common to find used, and I will tell you that the XLR Element is your best bet if staying on a budget. If you are just starting out, I would suggest buying things slowly and saving as much as you can for each purchase. Buying the right items the first time will save you more money than you could imagine. That is if you do intend on staying with it. Some of the money guys spend to shoot long range will make you sick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom