Let's build a mid/longrange rig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are looking to shoot past 500, the 20 MOA base is a good idea.

Both of the scopes are nice. If it was me, i would get the HS-T over the Mil Dot. Paired with a 20 MOA base, you will greatly increase your capability.

I know for a fact Mechanical Accuracy has built Howas.

20 MOA is the way to go (unless you are REALLY reaching out) ... I am not sure why they even make 0 MOA bases.

P.S. Vortex is nice to look ... just not through :( Why not buy Japanese or American glass for the same price, features and warranty?

Noted on the 20 MOA base, I think I'll be going with an EGW aluminum base and some unknown rings.
http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=1455

Suggestions for some sub $120 rings? One piece or two piece?

MoBoost, any suggestions on comparable American or Japanese glass in that sub $550 price point?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where do you think Leopold has their lenses made?
Optics have came a long way since 1970's.

http://www.opticstalk.com/leupold-lenses_topic17486.html

I have looked and looked through many scopes thinking i need to step up in the scope department and MoBoost has a few i looked through.. one at $1500 I think it was. I did not like it too much.. did not seem much better than my old model centerpoint.
I looked through that $600 scope and to my eyes it was much better than all the scopes I had looked through.
But alas I am too tight for that.
My centerpoint shot smaller groups than my Buckmaster which i sold.
I did look through the nikon Monarch and it was very nice,, a little on the pricy side but I think sub $550.
You may go find one of those to look through

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had many scopes and out of those the only ones I would recommend inside of your price range are the Weaver GST from Midway 3-10 mil / mil or one of SWFA fixed power offerings of your choice. Personally I would save a few more dollars and pickup an HST at the very least.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have looked and looked through many scopes thinking i need to step up in the scope department and MoBoost has a few i looked through.. one at $1500 I think it was. I did not like it too much.. did not seem much better than my old model centerpoint.

That's the whole point of the $1500 scope - you can't tell the difference at 50x magnification.

P.S. Centerpoint is my go-to sub-$100 scope - simple and available, just turn the knobs too much and you'll ok.

P.P.S. Buckmaster and Centerpoint are most likely made on the same street in Philippines.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rings: TPS hands down. Best rings I've seen/used at very competitive price; the availability has been hit and miss, but I guess for a good reason.

Scope: If you want to do distance work - you will need a $800+ scope. Sorry quality glass in knobs just cost money.
However, I linked a 4-20x50 scope I'm selling in your price range on the first page. Here it is on SWFA: http://swfa.com/Weaver-4-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P55481.aspx

In case you can't afford it - I would buy a Blackhawk 3.5-10x50 (I have a couple of those for sale as well) : http://swfa.com/Blackhawk-35-10x50-Tactical-Riflescope-P66736.aspx
Learn how to use it and how to drive your gun on it, save for bigger glass in a meanwhile.

It seems like I keep pushing Blackhawk scopes - it's a loophole to Weaver's Japanese glass and tracking for fraction of the price because of stupid marketing and branding, so might as well cash out while it lasts.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with steel Warne 20 MOA base and Warne steel rings. make sure you get the lowest possible rings. Bed the base and lap the rings.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with steel Warne 20 MOA base and Warne steel rings. make sure you get the lowest possible rings. Bed the base and lap the rings.

Did you just recommend rings and base combo that requires lapping?

P.S. Warne makes quality product - I just personally think that loose recoil lug in the rings is a design flaw.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rings: TPS hands down. Best rings I've seen/used at very competitive price; the availability has been hit and miss, but I guess for a good reason.

Scope: If you want to do distance work - you will need a $800+ scope. Sorry quality glass in knobs just cost money.
However, I linked a 4-20x50 scope I'm selling in your price range on the first page. Here it is on SWFA: http://swfa.com/Weaver-4-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P55481.aspx

In case you can't afford it - I would buy a Blackhawk 3.5-10x50 (I have a couple of those for sale as well) : http://swfa.com/Blackhawk-35-10x50-Tactical-Riflescope-P66736.aspx
Learn how to use it and how to drive your gun on it, save for bigger glass in a meanwhile.

It seems like I keep pushing Blackhawk scopes - it's a loophole to Weaver's Japanese glass and tracking for fraction of the price because of stupid marketing and branding, so might as well cash out while it lasts.
If I had the cash for the weaver right now, I would take it off your hands. But I dont, as I just purchased the chassis and barreled action this week. It will be a few weeks before I make another purchase. If at that time you still have that glass, i would love to look at it and most likely make it mine.

I have had many scopes and out of those the only ones I would recommend inside of your price range are the Weaver GST from Midway 3-10 mil / mil or one of SWFA fixed power offerings of your choice. Personally I would save a few more dollars and pickup an HST at the very least.

I'm trying to bargain shop for something out of my price range that may be used and now within my price range, I would love to find a variable swfa SS, or a viper HST. just keeping my eyes open.

I am using a Talley 20 moa rail and TPS rings. Works perfect. I got low rings and wish I would have got the extra low.
Any magical calculations or rules of thumb for ordering ring heights?

Latest posts

Top Bottom