Let's build a mid/longrange rig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got the scope you need: https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?212140-Weaver-Tactical-4-20x50-FFP-Mil-Mil
(Not selling mine - just selling extra one I bought).
I got some cheaper ones too - but you will not need to upgrade with the Weaver for a very very long time.

XLR chassis is awesome - I have one for Savage and one for Surgeon - 100% happy with both.
I also have the medalist stock - too bulky and heavy for field work - great prone/benchrest stock (my preferred stock for 1000 yard matches).
If you want traditional stock I would go with B&C tactical (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...barrel-channel-synthetic?cm_vc=ProductFinding).

308 will get the job done - 6.5mm variety will do much better job though (6.5x47 if you reload, 6.5 Creed if you don't).

Howa is solid action, butter smooth, crazy ejection, nice factory trigger - good choice IMHO.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vortex 6x24x50 would be even better. And have you looked at the 6.5 creedmore? Much better longer distance round than 308.
I recently started browsing around with that, I would really like to have a vortex, I've heard great things, and for the most part, you can't complain about such a good warranty.
I have considered the 6.5 and the .260, however, I do not reload, and m a bit of a sucker for owning things that I can not only afford to feed, but I can find food to feed. I've fed over 2k 9mm rounds to my daily carry sidearm in the past year, and over 1k rounds to my AR in the past 10 months. I like to be able to shoot, and by shooting I don't mean go shoot 20 rounds and leave because they cost $5.00 each. I do want to get into reloading, esp with my recent addition of a .357 mag revolver and my soon addition of a .308 rifle. To me .308 is the best bang for the buck, and is extremely economical, esp when considering specialty target type loads. I figure later on I will be looking to get into 6.5, or as practicality again may have it, I'm already leaning 300 win mag for a bigger longer range monster.

You have a very expensive journey ahead of you, have fun with it and enjoy it.
I intend on it!

There are great deals out there, you just have to look and be willing to turn your wallet inside out. I just sold my Bushnell for $1350, which IMO was a killer price. Stocks for you rifle will not be as common to find used, and I will tell you that the XLR Element is your best bet if staying on a budget. If you are just starting out, I would suggest buying things slowly and saving as much as you can for each purchase. Buying the right items the first time will save you more money than you could imagine. That is if you do intend on staying with it. Some of the money guys spend to shoot long range will make you sick.

I've been digging away for good deals, and I have definitely gotten the "piece by piece" build mentality into my head, as much as I don't want to.

I got the scope you need: https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?212140-Weaver-Tactical-4-20x50-FFP-Mil-Mil
(Not selling mine - just selling extra one I bought).
I got some cheaper ones too - but you will not need to upgrade with the Weaver for a very very long time.

XLR chassis is awesome - I have one for Savage and one for Surgeon - 100% happy with both.
I also have the medalist stock - too bulky and heavy for field work - great prone/benchrest stock (my preferred stock for 1000 yard matches).
If you want traditional stock I would go with B&C tactical (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...barrel-channel-synthetic?cm_vc=ProductFinding).

308 will get the job done - 6.5mm variety will do much better job though (6.5x47 if you reload, 6.5 Creed if you don't).

Howa is solid action, butter smooth, crazy ejection, nice factory trigger - good choice IMHO.

Thank you for the compliment, and as much as I wish I could purchase your scope, I will have to pass for now, but I may bite later if it's still around.
I believe I am fully convinvpced on a chassis. I really am liking the features and price of the MDT LSS chassis.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The AICS stock will add too much weight. I went a similar route but, I bought in place of building. I bought a Rem. 700 PLT .308 which weighted 7.5 pds. and added a scope. It shot very well out to 800 yds.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd def look at m118 or heavy 175 OTM ammo and stay with it.

I'd say buy once, cry once. Get what you want the first time and don't skimp.

^^^ This.

Don't build a target rifle for plinking, you already got AR15 for practice.
And you will end up shooting only 20 rounds a practice session, and not because it costs too much, but because each round will count!
Alas, over-the-counter ammo will run you $1.30 in mid-sized case regardless of the caliber choice.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ohhhhh I almost had to put the project on hold, I found a display of those sweet texas air force airguns. I was real close to buying one.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, yesterday I went and place my order for the barreled action with Hoov, and ordered my modular driven technologies LSS chassis. I am really excited for this thing to start coming together.

I'm wanting to have my bolt handle and barrel threaded. I was considering having that done before I put the rifle together, however, would that be a good idea? Or should I get the rifle together, shoot a few hundred rounds out of it to ensure that there aren't any problems, and then take it in to have to work done?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Barrel can be threaded whenever ...

I don't know if anyone has a fixture to turn and thread the bolt on Howa, I would just have the bolt cut and threaded extension tig-welded on.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Barrel can be threaded whenever ...

I don't know if anyone has a fixture to turn and thread the bolt on Howa, I would just have the bolt cut and threaded extension tig-welded on.

Hmmm I see.

Preferred gunsmith/machinists? I've heard about the legend Steve Baldwin, but don't have much experience with smiths.

Latest posts

Top Bottom