Let's build a mid/longrange rig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built my rifle from a Howa 1500 308 barreled action with a 24" barrel. I went with the Bell & Carlson stock, PTG bottom metal, AICS mags and I put a Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16 on top. The rifle loves 178gr Amax bullets. I ordered the bolt knob I wanted and "machined" my bolt handle myself in the garage.

IMAG0443.jpg
IMAG0444.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
AFAIK everybody is at least 6mo behind right now.
Might as well put it together yourself.

I was planning on it, as long as nothing crazy happens. With the mdt lss chassis all I do is drop the action into the stock and tighten up the screws. Shouldn't be bad.

I built my rifle from a Howa 1500 308 barreled action with a 24" barrel. I went with the Bell & Carlson stock, PTG bottom metal, AICS mags and I put a Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16 on top. The rifle loves 178gr Amax bullets. I ordered the bolt knob I wanted and "machined" my bolt handle myself in the garage.

View attachment 49272
View attachment 49273

Oh that's nice! What kind of groups are you getting?
How do you like the vortex? The viper hst is about what I'm looking at.
I considered the B&C or McMillan stocks, but I've never handled one and was afraid that it would be impossible to shoot offhand or just feel funny to me. Maybe next time.

smax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rifle is very accurate. I don't shoot a lot of groups, but at 100yds and 200yds my 5 shot groups are one ragged hole. As for the scope, I love it. I got the MIL MIL version. I shoot a lot of steel from 200yds out to 640yds and the scope is always dead on with dialing in and out at all ranges.

The Bell & Carlson stock and 24" barrel is a little heavy for off hand shooting. It can be done and I've done it, but without a sling it isn't fun.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rifle is very accurate. I don't shoot a lot of groups, but at 100yds and 200yds my 5 shot groups are one ragged hole. As for the scope, I love it. I got the MIL MIL version. I shoot a lot of steel from 200yds out to 640yds and the scope is always dead on with dialing in and out at all ranges.

The Bell & Carlson stock and 24" barrel is a little heavy for off hand shooting. It can be done and I've done it, but without a sling it isn't fun.

Well that's exciting to hear. Not a lot of Howa long range setups out there.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last edited:

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are looking to shoot past 500, the 20 MOA base is a good idea.

Both of the scopes are nice. If it was me, i would get the HS-T over the Mil Dot. Paired with a 20 MOA base, you will greatly increase your capability.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 49272
View attachment 49273

Can you tell me where you found a metric thread after market barrel for your howa 1500? I have a 1500 I would really like to change the caliber in. My problem is the gunsmith I asked to do the work said "Oh not that receiver is threaded metric and you will be limited on choices of barrel and manufacturers". Input appreciated Don't want to highjack this thread so pm me on this. tnks

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know for a fact Mechanical Accuracy has built Howas.

20 MOA is the way to go (unless you are REALLY reaching out) ... I am not sure why they even make 0 MOA bases.

P.S. Vortex is nice to look ... just not through :( Why not buy Japanese or American glass for the same price, features and warranty?

smax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you tell me where you found a metric thread after market barrel for your howa 1500? I have a 1500 I would really like to change the caliber in. My problem is the gunsmith I asked to do the work said "Oh not that receiver is threaded metric and you will be limited on choices of barrel and manufacturers". Input appreciated Don't want to highjack this thread so pm me on this. tnks

Pac-Nor
http://pac-nor.com/prefit/

Latest posts

Top Bottom