lets talk toilets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once a turn has gone down it I really don't want to touch it. That being said. I'm to damn cheap to pay someone for something I can do.

I suggest the waxfree style ring. These things are getting good reviews. The benefit is most come with holes in them for the flange bolts. Meaning. the bolts are held in place with more than luck. We all have set the toilet down and bent the bolts over into the wax ring. Who needs that. the wax free ring is more forgiving.

Gloves.
scraper.
paper towels.
Someone standing by with the profanity beeper(my personal suggestion).
wrench sized for the nuts and water connection to the tank, unless you can remove it by hand.
small hack saw or dremel to cut the new bolts(unless you don't want to use the plastic caps to cover them).
trash bag to set the toilet on when you remove it
trash bag or other plastic bag to put old ring and paper towels in.
replacement ring
PATIENCE LOTS AND LOTS OF PATIENCE
I'm sure there is more needed...

Gas mask.

Woody

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no need to pay a plumber for this, unless you light your cigars with $20 bills.

The sani-seal waxless gaskets from home depot or amazon are the way to go.

Replace the bolts holding the toilet to the flange at the same time you replace the gasket. Piss will corrode those bolts, and just fiddling around with them when changing gaskets can lead them to break a few days/weeks later. Then you're doing it all over again.

You can do this project in like a hour!

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most important thing is you can't just change the wax ring. If it's been installed long, any movement WILL cause leaks in other places. Just by the whole kit and replace everything top to bottom. You'll be glad you did.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most important thing is you can't just change the wax ring. If it's been installed long, any movement WILL cause leaks in other places. Just by the whole kit and replace everything top to bottom. You'll be glad you did.

This makes no sense to me. What else besides the gasket is there to replace? The whole stool?

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This makes no sense to me. What else besides the gasket is there to replace? The whole stool?

In older homes say older than 1970's there is often a lead tube that connects the flange to a cast iron pipe.
I don't think i need to say this but lead is quite soft and will crack easily. If you are doing toilet work and discover you have such a lead pipe, it is recommended that you replace it with PCV.

I just did this in one of my bathrooms...discovered several cracks in the lead. I hammered that **** out (no pun intended) with a screw driver. No way I'm getting a blow torch in there.

Not sure if that is what ahamay6 was getting at, but that's been my experience...

Latest posts

Top Bottom