Looking for a car question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get her a VW diesel - Jetta or Passat. They are good looking cars, run FOREVER, and I average about 48mpg in mine city/highway mixed. Just exceptional little things. Mine has 200k on it and runs like it's brand new.

lol thats a good joke. yea they get great mpg but those tdi's are a ***** to mess with. expensive to repair to boot. friends parents owned 2 of them. always in the shop. one dropped a valve. ruined the head. ruined a turbo. 2 transmissions. electrical issues etc etc. the other just transmissions and electrical issues. i had a 97 nissan sentra. biggest pos ive ever owned. sold it and bought a 94 thunderbird with a 4.6. no problems. everything works. dunno too much about the newer nissans. i know the 3.5 is a solid engine. the cvt sux in the murano. 100k miles and they are usually done. personally im an older american cars type guy. honda has gone down hill in the last 10 years imo. toyota seems to be solid. corolla s is a pretty nice car for the money. they are made in the same factory that the subaru impreza is made. look in the interiors. pretty similar stuff on the inside. they have a timing chain now and the 1.8 is a solid little engine with 35mpg highway on a bad day. friend of mine ownes a 2010 drives it from owasso to bartlesville everyday.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have had 12 Honda's, all went over 200k before any minor problems, Drove 3 to over 300k before problems. Love them.
2 Nissans, one started having problems at 150k, the other at 180k. Both reliable but needed more maintenance then the Honda's.
1 Toyota PU with 135k and no problems yet. Love it.

I guess you can tell, I use to drive all day for my job..

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm rocking two older vehicles. My truck is a 01 Nissan Frontier that has been a fantastic vehicle. Has 185k on it and I've put about 150k of those on it. The other is a 94 Honda Civic that just rolled 180k. It runs like a clock but the paint has headed off to greener pastures.

As far as Nissans, I only have experience with the 3.3l V6 motors and have done timing belts on 3 of them as part of regular maintenance.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont know a thing about the Altimas. We bought an 09 Maxima new, and while I like the car, I have been disappointed in Nissan on numerous occasions. The latest was an issue with the electronic tilt/telescoping steering wheel. Little motor went out and costs $700 to replace. Funny thing is, there was a TSB data February 2009 outlining the issue. No recall and Nissan didnt feel generous enough to issue a good faith warranty since our was just out of the 3 year by 7 days. But other than that, I love the car. Really fun for a "sedan" type vehicle.

Back in August of last year, bought a 2012 Jetta TDI. Both the car and service has been outstanding.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alot of good choices. I might be asking alot, but I would like her to find something that gets around 28mpg+ on the hwy. We have time. We are taking the Burb to the mountains next month and then will look at selling it after. I don't know if we will trade it in, or sell it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom