Looks Like The Dust Bowl Days, Doesn't It?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in Elk City. Never went south that much except to the lake on the weekends. I am friends with the Boyds out of Rocky, if you know any of them.

kgoodrich

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
wow you know its really dry in oklahoma and that is going to make things much worse and it all depends on how long it stays in the air.... That is going to wreck crops as well i am sure of. I wonder if its just one more use for harp make big winds on dryed out dirt and sand that might have hot particles in it to blanket arizona oklahoma, teaxes, kansas and the midwest. Dose not look good!!

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in Elk City. Never went south that much except to the lake on the weekends. I am friends with the Boyds out of Rocky, if you know any of them.

Oh my gosh, so many from Rocky,and that sounds sssso familiar. Many things go through my mind, Too many from such a small place but they were and are still all great. From Rocky, not speaking of any of the girls, but all small town girls were wonderful, but I am old, now. Rocky, the Kopers, brothers and cousins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I knew Ron and later on Bud who played for the San Fransisco Warriors. Many Stories to tell about Ron and his days at B Ball at OCU, and things he helped me out with when he went on to OSU for his Masters// Good people. Sorry people, this has just brought up a lot of old memories. Thanks for doing so.
Lone Wolf and good night to all and have a very good night.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wow you know its really dry in oklahoma and that is going to make things much worse and it all depends on how long it stays in the air.... That is going to wreck crops as well i am sure of. I wonder if its just one more use for harp make big winds on dryed out dirt and sand that might have hot particles in it to blanket arizona oklahoma, teaxes, kansas and the midwest. Dose not look good!!

Trust me, it is like the thirties,almost! Only thing is the winds have calmed down a little.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Not quite the same. The year the dust bowl happened is 1930 - 1936 and in some areas 1940. It was much worse than this isolated incident.

Granted this one was pretty bad, but nowhere near the dust bowl.

The dust bowl didn't just come from drought and high winds. We have those today. Farming practices, huge wildfires stripping the land of grass, etc caused the dust bowl. Newer farming practices, and the shelter belts have contributed to the lack of major dust storms.
We still have them, just not as severe.
I have a double volume of Kay and Grant county histories complete with pictures, from the land run days forward.
Great Grandpa's land did not have a tree one, on over a thousand acres. Now, trees are abundant along the creeks, brush grows in the fence rows, etc.
Trust me the dust bowl isn't going to happen like it did in the past. Isolated areas may experience a little of it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not quite the same. The year the dust bowl happened is 1930 - 1936 and in some areas 1940. It was much worse than this isolated incident.

Granted this one was pretty bad, but nowhere near the dust bowl.

The dust bowl didn't just come from drought and high winds. We have those today. Farming practices, huge wildfires stripping the land of grass, etc caused the dust bowl. Newer farming practices, and the shelter belts have contributed to the lack of major dust storms.
We still have them, just not as severe.
I have a double volume of Kay and Grant county histories complete with pictures, from the land run days forward.
Great Grandpa's land did not have a tree one, on over a thousand acres. Now, trees are abundant along the creeks, brush grows in the fence rows, etc.
Trust me the dust bowl isn't going to happen like it did in the past. Isolated areas may experience a little of it.

This is pretty close. I've worked up in the panhandle quite a bit, so I read up on it and talked to quite a few people. What caused the dust bowl was farming. The practice of tilling in the native grasses and replacing them with non-native crops. As long as it rained all was good. What they didn't know back then was the normal lack of rainfall for the area. They had a very few good years, the .gov moved a bunch of people in there with the lure of free land and abudant crops. Except then "normal" returned. Crops didn't grow, the wind blew and the rest is history. The difference today is irrigation from underground aquifers. Every farm has an irrigation system or it's planted in grass. And a ton of it's CRP land.

SW Oklahoma is still mostly dryland farming. But they get more rain than the panhandle so it works out. Mostly....

Edit: I got interested in this because I could literally see the storyline of the Grapes of Wrath in the courthouse records. I do title research on land.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you serious? You think a sand storm in Phoenix is going to blow all the way to Oklahoma?

The ones I've seen went for quite some distance...but probably not that far.

I was talking to an old buddy who is working in Tucson. This same storm passed through his area and deposited gravel, not dirt but friggin' gravel, into the bed of his truck and shattered the rear window and side mirrors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom