Love the XD40SC, thinking about moving up to a 45. Your thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ae5mh

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dearly love my XD40 Subcompact. But I've got enough little guns and was thinking about moving up to an XD45 tactical or similar.

I would solicit your thoughts as to if the move up to a 45 is even worth it. I know "if some is good, more is better" and that 230gr is significantly larger than the 40cal. I know that a 4 or 5 inch barrel will be better than the subcompact I have now.

Your thoughts? I'd love to hear them.

Mark

Pistol Packin' Honey

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I carry the XD40 Subcompact. My husband carries the XD45.
I prefer the 40, mainly because the 45 is so much larger. My 40 is a pretty big piece compared to some, but in my opinion, his 45 is needlessly bigger. If you were closer, we'd meet and let ya shoot his & see what you thought.

Really it's just gonna come down to your personal preference.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
have owned 2 xd45 compacts and one xd9 subcompact, if i were to go back to a 45 acp pistol with polymer frame i'd grab another xd45 compact in a second. they are a bit large but shoot well, there is an xd 45 tactical compact but isn't easy to find. i liked the 10 round flush mag for carry and the 13round full size as a spare.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's no point in carrying a .45ACP, unless it happens to be what shoots out of the only gun you can afford. Stopping power doesn't exist. People get shot all the time, and very rarely fall down or topple over due to being shot. They generally run away with great haste and seek medical attention.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's no point in carrying a .45ACP, unless it happens to be what shoots out of the only gun you can afford

That's a load of BS. It's a great round, with proven performance. While I like both rounds, in some platforms it's easier to shoot than .40 for ME.

To the OP, dunno that you're gonna notice any appreciable difference from .40 to .45. They both perform great and will do the job if you do yours. I'd keep what you have if you like it.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We could give you our opinions on which is better for whatever bs reasons that come to mind, but when it comes down to it, its a completely personal choice that you alone will have to try out and decide for yourself.
Boths rounds have proven stopping power with good quality ammunition like Speer Gold Dots as an example.

Smokin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry my XDS all the time now. Its a great shooter, and the .45 round is proven. I load it with corbon 200 gr +p. The XDM .45 is my next pistol purchase for sure.

Phadrian

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's no point in carrying a .45ACP, unless it happens to be what shoots out of the only gun you can afford. Stopping power doesn't exist. People get shot all the time, and very rarely fall down or topple over due to being shot. They generally run away with great haste and seek medical attention.
Lets take your argument further, if there is no point in considering stopping power how about being able to shoot lead bullets through a 45 while finding a lead bullet that won't lead up your barrel in 40 S&W is more difficult. Lead bullets are much cheaper than jacketed ammo. Being able to shoot more and cheaper is a good thing.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Or...you like the cartridge, which is my sole reason.

Latest posts

Top Bottom