Magpul B.A.D. lever or Troy ambidextrous bolt releases??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markuspipus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I am blind in my right eye I have to shoot my ARs lefthanded. Releasing the bold has always been a little awkward. I saw the B.A.D. lever and the Troy ambi bolt release for sell but I don't know how well they work. They look very easy to install but I am wondering if they actually function well. Anyone have any experience with either or both? Or maybe something similar??

Mark

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They work, but are best for a range/match/hobby setup. If you need it for defensive use, I'd opt for a true, full ambi setup. There are several on the market to choose from.

markuspipus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
They work, but are best for a range/match/hobby setup. If you need it for defensive use, I'd opt for a true, full ambi setup. ...

I guess my defensive use gun is my left handed Rock River Arms Operator. But I have a couple other right handed ARs that I play around with some and I will probably put the Magpul B.A.D. lever on them in case I shoot them. I would be able to easily take them off for a regular shooter to use if it got in the way.

markuspipus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't the BAD lever to be used with a right handed shooters trigger finger? How would it help a lefty?

As I understand it, the right handed shooter would keep his right hand on the trigger but would use his support hand (left) to manipulate the bolt catch because on a normal gun, the bolt catch is on the left side. The problem arises when a left handed shooter shoots a right handed gun, their left hand is on the trigger and their support hand (right) would have to reach either under the lower receiver or over the upper receiver to manipulate the bolt catch. What the B.A.D. lever does is put a bar through the trigger space the allows the lefties support hand (right) to manipulate the bolt catch on the right side of the gun instead of the left. No more reaching under or over.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I understand it, the right handed shooter would keep his right hand on the trigger but would use his support hand (left) to manipulate the bolt catch because on a normal gun, the bolt catch is on the left side. The problem arises when a left handed shooter shoots a right handed gun, their left hand is on the trigger and their support hand (right) would have to reach either under the lower receiver or over the upper receiver to manipulate the bolt catch. What the B.A.D. lever does is put a bar through the trigger space the allows the lefties support hand (right) to manipulate the bolt catch on the right side of the gun instead of the left. No more reaching under or over.

I'm a lefty too. Never had any problems with a right handed AR. No way I'm stuffing my right thumb into the trigger guard to try to manipulate a BAD lever. Might as well drop the B and just call it an AD lever. Matter of fact, I know a policeman, who is on these boards, who is a very accomplished shooter, including competition shooting, who took his BAD lever off of his rifle after an AD because of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom