Milk Prices Could Double Next Month

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Like most of Americans, they have no idea how or where their food comes from, no knowledge of a producers way of life or business. During the last dairy delima a few years ago, a lady from NYC was interviewed about the possible rise in milk prices, she said, "The price hike won't effect me, I buy my milk from the supermarket, not a dairy."

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like most of Americans, they have no idea how or where their food comes from, no knowledge of a producers way of life or business. During the last dairy delima a few years ago, a lady from NYC was interviewed about the possible rise in milk prices, she said, "The price hike won't effect me, I buy my milk from the supermarket, not a dairy."

She probably also buys her meat from a store so that no animals get harmed.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is how we go under. All these artificially low prices courtesy of the gov come to an end, plus the inflation of printing money, and we've all taken, in essence, a ridiculous pay decrease on what we can buy. That's what short term planning has gotten us.
+1,000 on this and the Ethanol programs. Our masters think themselves too wise............ A few pages of new laws or programs to fix every problem....................

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Farm Bureau says without federal 'price support' for farmers a gallon of milk could spike from about three dollars per gallon, to about six dollars per gallon within just the next few months.

As much as I like milk there won't be a lot of it bought by me or my wife if the price goes to $6/gallon.

As for price supports??? I was totally unaware of that. Yet another example of the dumb ass government monkeying with the economy in ways it shouldn't.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We pay either way. That's what we are failing to see. We either pay at the register or we pay through confiscatory taxes that then subsidize the producers. The tax version has tons of red tape and only doles out small percentages of what it takes in.
Let's end the subsidies. Let's pay fair market value of the milk WHEN we choose to buy that milk or product. Guess what! If no one wants to buy $6 milk it will come down. If enough people want to buy $6 milk others will see 'opportunity' and jump in increasing supply.

Let an industry survive on its on. Nothing is too big to fail. Capitalism works.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We pay either way. That's what we are failing to see. We either pay at the register or we pay through confiscatory taxes that then subsidize the producers. The tax version has tons of red tape and only doles out small percentages of what it takes in.
Let's end the subsidies. Let's pay fair market value of the milk WHEN we choose to buy that milk or product. Guess what! If no one wants to buy $6 milk it will come down. If enough people want to buy $6 milk others will see 'opportunity' and jump in increasing supply.

Let an industry survive on its on. Nothing is too big to fail. Capitalism works.
I totally agree.

What is going on is that the price of milk, but not just milk, has been manipulated to be artificially low.
And that changes consumption patterns among consumers based on a false cost assumption.

Capitalism is distorted when the true cost of goods are not apparent to the consumer to make his/her purchasing decisions.
We either believe in capitalism or we don't.

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this article makes no sense... the basis is that if the pricing structure changes, it wouldn't keep prices low... so the prices will skyrocket, but the dairy farms won't make money.... WTH? generally low prices mean less money, higher prices mean more. This article says that lower prices = more money. Completely backwards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom