Minimum Wage - the fallout!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I doubt they'll be automating the taco trucks that I frequent. Why would anyone eat a McTurd when they can get real food for the same price? (oddly enough, even though I'm NE of downtown Tulsa, there seems to be a commonality in personnel at McTurd's and the taco trucks, perhaps our illegals are willing to grab those bootstraps, more so than our "local" populace? )

Well, the taco trucks, I could see, but the true illegals shouldn't be allowed to work at McD's... not without proper ID and such, anyways. But I digress...

I think the true difference is the lifestyle. It seems many of the folks you're talking about don't mind staying in more cramped housing arrangements, thus they can pool their funds and live off a lower wage. Give some of them a 2500 sqft home and we'd probably see how many of them they can pack into it and charge them $50-100 ea for rent. That's my guess, anyways... different cultures have different values. But the people who want to demand to be able to own that nicer 2500 sqft home and drive that newer model SUB while working 30 hours a week at McD's are the ones who need an entitlement attitude adjustment. There's no way that's a workable economy... unless you want to see $10 Big Macs and $100,000+ SUVs as the norm.

I'm jus'sayin'. In that case, the wages have gone up, but nothing's really changed.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, my boy worked at McD for a bit - about 85% of the employees were Mexican, of those at least half were illegal.

As for the living conditions, take a look at Chicago or NYC immigrant neighborhoods/apartments around the turn of the 20th century.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, my boy worked at McD for a bit - about 85% of the employees were Mexican, of those at least half were illegal.

As for the living conditions, take a look at Chicago or NYC immigrant neighborhoods/apartments around the turn of the 20th century.

Did they tell him they were illegal? I mean, I remember when Oklahoma passed the law about hiring illegals and there was a ton of crying about it. Are ALL of these people using someone else's Social Security #'s or cards? Is the problem that rampant that most of the employees of these businesses are STILL illegal? If so, then we need to DO something about it.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did they tell him they were illegal? I mean, I remember when Oklahoma passed the law about hiring illegals and there was a ton of crying about it. Are ALL of these people using someone else's Social Security #'s or cards? Is the problem that rampant that most of the employees of these businesses are STILL illegal? If so, then we need to DO something about it.

Yes - they were pretty open about it - one was the manager, she had been at McDs for 15+ years- I asked him why anyone would work there that long when they obviously have more talent than a burger flipper....he told me the whole deal. They use other peoples SSNs.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My comment was wasted energy on this board, everyone here is a pull yourself up by your bootstraps kind of guy, but they fail to understand that the poor fawkers can't afford boots or straps because the only jobs available are minimum wage jobs.

It's not worth arguing... They're not really pervy on the facts either.

They don't know it but they're already paying a higher minimum wage due to the fact that most people on welfare have jobs. Those jobs pay minimum wage and they can't afford to live so they suplament with welfare (which we all pay for). Wal-Mart pays as little as possible and makes the taxpayer make up for the rest. Because in this country. Capitalism reigns. People don't. It's all about profits. Yay Capitalism!!!!

They want their cheap ****. Give them their cheap ****. Even at the expense of the livlihood of others.

A happier country and a higher quality of life isn't important... Give them their cheap goods. Because that's the most important thing of alll.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not worth arguing... They're not really pervy on the facts either.

They don't know it but they're already paying a higher minimum wage due to the fact that most people on welfare have jobs. Those jobs pay minimum wage and they can't afford to live so they suplament with welfare (which we all pay for). Wal-Mart pays as little as possible and makes the taxpayer make up for the rest. Because in this country. Capitalism reigns. People don't. It's all about profits. Yay Capitalism!!!!

They want their cheap ****. Give them their cheap ****. Even at the expense of the livlihood of others.

A happier country and a higher quality of life isn't important... Give them their cheap goods. Because that's the most important thing of alll.

So you're saying that the .gov and taxpayers are subsidizing corporations like WM and MacDonalds?
They pay low wages but pay generous stock dividends to investors while taxpayers lift their workers standard of living through welfare programs.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A happier country and a higher quality of life isn't important...

Those are important but an increased minimum wage isn't the answer, at least not in the long term. If it were than everybody would be happy and enjoying a high quality of life now from all the previous hikes in the mandatory minimum wage. Instead what has happened is that it has helped a few and hurt many more, including the fact that inflated wages are a large part of the reason for outsourcing jobs overseas.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are important but an increased minimum wage isn't the answer, at least not in the long term. If it were than everybody would be happy and enjoying a high quality of life now from all the previous hikes in the mandatory minimum wage. Instead what has happened is that it has helped a few and hurt many more, including the fact that inflated wages are a large part of the reason for outsourcing jobs overseas.

A government that allows US companies to manufacture good overseas, then sell the crap back on the American market got us here. We've cut our own throat.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't allow U.S. companies to manufacture overseas, then they'll just not be U.S. companies. There are just too many countries willing and able to accept them there. It just ain't that easy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom