More Turnpikes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do they typically pay people off pretty well when they do this? Or is it a lowball and you get stuck and can't do anything about it?? It's not like they ain't gonna make their money back off the thing...

Man, that sucks. I hope they have offered you some serious money.

They do appraisals then make an offer and go from there with negotiations. If it cant come to an agreement it can proceed to court to another appraisal and a jury decision....its obviously a little more detailed than that, but you get the point...

No numbers have been talked about yet, and wont be until they present their final route.

I'm not convinced I could even find another 80 acres out this way...There goes my 950 yard shooting range...

It really sucks...No one out this way really wants it at all...They've got over 4500 signatures on a petition against it. We thought it was going to be farther west by a mile or so, and even then we were against it....

I know a lot more about OTA now than I ever did before...Even though its funded differently from regular state projects, it doesn't seem wise to ever have something 2 BILLION dollars in debt....This will now add debt to the system, so you can pretty much forget any of them ever being paid off...

DaveinOKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Turnpike will be within a half mile of my house now and will be probably a couple of hundred yards at most from the front of my folks home. Trying to sell my home, but no luck with the turnpike coming through. Nice having the noise and nuisance of an unwanted turnpike forced on us. I almost wish they had come through our property. At least then we would get paid to sell.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Turnpike will be within a half mile of my house now and will be probably a couple of hundred yards at most from the front of my folks home. Trying to sell my home, but no luck with the turnpike coming through. Nice having the noise and nuisance of an unwanted turnpike forced on us. I almost wish they had come through our property. At least then we would get paid to sell.

Yea, I didn't even mention that part of it for me...We had planned to build on that 80 acres we may lose, in fact we already have a 7200 sq ft barn built...My actual house we live in is less than 1/4 mile away from the preliminary route....Realtor told us a few months ago we could possibly see $400k from the house...doubtful now...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless I already missed it, I would imagine that stretch will eventually keep going south and end up connecting to I35 around Norman or south.
And the long term planners lol
They've been talking about this for the better part of 20 years. Back in the late '90s, one of my neighbors had some maps of proposed routes for an I35 bypass that came pretty damn close to my place. He said it had something to do with NAFTA and some kind of trade corridor. Whether or not it was true, I don't know, but the maps certainly looked legit.

At least this loop going through Harrah would put that supposed Norman loop east of Dirtybird instead of in my back yard. If it'd get the speed limit on Highway 9 back up to where it should be and get the stoplights biased more toward the highway than the side streets, I'm not sure I'd be all that much opposed to it. (Aside from my general opposition to the gov't using eminent domain to steal private property...)

As long as it's not another #%^*ing turnpike. We have enough of those stupid things.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No surprise there

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Here come all the highway alignment experts in 3...2...1... Lmmfao

Since you're the closest thing to OSA's resident "expert" on the subject...serious question:

Why not go a few more miles east and improve 102 which already runs between 40 and 44?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not go a few more miles east and improve 102 which already runs between 40 and 44?
IMHO, there's no point to improving 102. It's just a couple of miles from 177, and they both already end up at Wellston--and 177 is a really nice road already.

Of course, you could say the same thing about a turnpike in general...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you're the closest thing to OSA's resident "expert" on the subject...serious question:

Because we clearly don't have enough roads to do perpetual construction on. Follow the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No surprise there

IMHO, there's no point to improving 102. It's just a couple of miles from 177, and they both already end up at Wellston--and 177 is a really nice road already.

Of course, you could say the same thing about a turnpike in general...

Yeah kinda my point. 102/177. Two choices less than 10 minutes drive time farther east. Wondering why we had to start from scratch just a few miles closer in.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do they typically pay people off pretty well when they do this? Or is it a lowball and you get stuck and can't do anything about it?? It's not like they ain't gonna make their money back off the thing...

They do appraisals then make an offer and go from there with negotiations. If it cant come to an agreement it can proceed to court to another appraisal and a jury decision....its obviously a little more detailed than that, but you get the point...

That describes the only trial where I was on a jury. It was a landowner/developer in Mustang contesting the valuation by ODOT when Hwy 152 was widened back in the 80s. The jury awarded the requested higher valuation because the plaintiff had good data and the ODOT lawyer was a moron.

I"m just waiting for the West proposal through Yukon/Mustang to see where that turnpike ends up going.

The current end of the Kilpatrick on SW 15th is about a mile from my previous house. I'm interested in how they plan to do that alignment, too. At one time, it wouldn't have impacted much more than farmland but development has changed the landscape where it might go. At least they did give it a good connection point for I-44 and I-35 by building that section before it got overly developed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom