Movie theaters asking women to open their purses... looking for guns.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just heard about this with our local theater. May prompt us not to go there anymore. Certainly will be an issue if they ask me to raise my shirt, etc.

What do you think?

More worried about contraband candy than anything else, since the wife doesn't carry, but... again, if they "broaden the search," we're going to have some issues. Anyone else run into this yet?

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that's just what some people claim it's for. Carmike in Stillwater does the same thing but has no gunbuster sign on the door. They DO sell the exact same boxes of candy that Wal-Mart sells for $1 for $4 though so I think you may be right on the money thinking it's about that. If they ask me to lift my shirt, that's they day I stop going to the movies.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friend in Austin says they started looking in purses and backpacks a while back. Oddly enough our friends in other big cities including Denver haven't mentioned it...but I haven't asked. I haven't heard reports of it in Tulsa yet.

I'd be bummed because my girlfriend smuggles me booze in. It's how she gets me to go in the first place.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just heard about this with our local theater. May prompt us not to go there anymore. Certainly will be an issue if they ask me to raise my shirt, etc.

What do you think?
What will they do if you say "No".? Will they deny you entry or deny you a ticket. That, IMO would be different than just asking if they can search.

Volmarr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't seen any place around here that does searches yet but I don't go to the movies that often. My wife doesn't carry in her purse so I don't have to worry about that. But it sounds like they are looking for people bringing in food and drinks. I've been hearing talk of theaters installing metal detectors sounds like a better idea than searches. If I can't carry I won't go.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't seen any place around here that does searches yet but I don't go to the movies that often. My wife doesn't carry in her purse so I don't have to worry about that. But it sounds like they are looking for people bringing in food and drinks.
Have a relative that Manages one of the big movie theaters in OKC. He told me that the majority of their revenue comes from what they sell at the concession stand. The movies themselves aren't responsible for much. Not sure what to make of it..

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious. WHO is doing these searches? Is it an officer or employees? Are there signs that say something to the effect of "all persons and property is subject to search before entering"? What legal authority do they have to do this? I wouldn't think that it would be legal without probable cause.

Just me, but I'd go somewhere else to spend my money.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm curious. WHO is doing these searches? Is it an officer or employees? Are there signs that say something to the effect of "all persons and property is subject to search before entering"? What legal authority do they have to do this? I wouldn't think that it would be legal without probable cause.
It's private property; they can set (almost) whatever conditions for entry they like.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't attend such a theater. Hopefully they post signage to that effect where you can see it before you buy a ticket, or else have provisions to refund your money should you refuse to consent to such a search.

Latest posts

Top Bottom