Mule Deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not exactly the panhandle but have seen them as far east as Woods County but that was very LONG time ago. Killed a fork horn and a couple of does....gosh....must be close to 25 years ago now. Killed one that looked like a hybrid....mulie tail (except for the white rump patch) and face markings but whitetail rack. As I have watched the whitetail population go up....seems the mulie sightings have gone down. (see more people out there now too). Saw them most often in canyons. No knowledge of a guide for mulies. Good luck!

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I took that buck, the ratio of bucks to does in that area seemed to be pretty high. Lot's of bucks but size was not great. In the years since then, the number of does has gone up (look at the number of doe days for Woods County), bucks down but better quality. Purely a guess but I bet buck was desperate.

Reaction score
Yes, of course - but which buck - the mulie or the whitetail? I guess you're saying whitetail buck back then found him an odd-looking mate to hook up with.... all his buddies razzed him about her big ears, white nose, and the funny way she hopped..

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its very common for a mule deer buck to have antlers that look like a whitetail buck. I've seen a grand total of 1 hybrid muley/whitey. You'll know it when you see one, they just look....odd.

That being said, Oklahoma isn't really the place to get yourself a mule deer. I've seen quite a few on various public lands here, but there's better states to go to if you want a nice muley.

Latest posts

Top Bottom