Mustang Post Office Handicap Parking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'm guessing the sign to the left of the ramp old and was used to identify the area where the ramp now sits. You can make out the old wheel chair paint on the ground. I don't think the spot with the honda is handicapped parking (though maybe it is and i can't see the parking lot lines).

My guess is they had to add a better ramp and flipped the handicapped spot from the left sign to the right sign, or just took out the left one. Because the angled parking and the ramp rails don't follow the same angle, it created that middle area between the ramp and the honda. And they left the sign.

From my experience, groups that handle ADA issues for federal facilities are pretty on top of things. Not always, but it's one of those areas that (at least around here) can get your in trouble pretty quick so groups are highly aware of things that don't meet the code.
I don't see anything that meets ADA code in those pictures.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see anything that meets ADA code in those pictures.
What is shown might not but there is a lot that is missing that could be compliant. The pictures show a spot that was clearly removed. Does that immediately mean there isn’t something not shown that is compliant?

The question was regarding the area shown. Hard to say what else is going on.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like wheelchair ramps with no sidewalk
Ramps can connect to the parking lot, right? And that painted area clearly looks like there is an area ‘protected’ though paint is rarely a good protection in my experience.

I admit, it’s often confusing. Even to those who should know. I’ve had many a go around with our city engineer regarding contradictory things she has told me about pedestrian access to one intersection vs another (in terms of what is allowed and required)

It could certainly have been a good ol boy special. But that does seem to be an area the feds don’t mess around with.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ramps can connect to the parking lot, right? And that painted area clearly looks like there is an area ‘protected’ though paint is rarely a good protection in my experience.

I admit, it’s often confusing. Even to those who should know. I’ve had many a go around with our city engineer regarding contradictory things she has told me about pedestrian access to one intersection vs another (in terms of what is allowed and required)

It could certainly have been a good ol boy special. But that does seem to be an area the feds don’t mess around with.
I've had to design ADA ramps that lead to a grass area. Sidewalks may or may not come later.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Kind of strange since USPS used to be very strict on ADA requirements. For example, the toilet had to be at least 18 inches from the wall 😂 on new builds. Mustang Post Office was huge when first built and I wondered why they built it in the middle of nowhere. Same thing with Coffee Creek in Edmond. Nowadays they are surrounded by houses or business. Good thing that wasn’t my job where to put them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom