Muzzle loader starts this weekend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to the range on Banner Road at lunch to sight in my ML, took me six shots but the last 3 were all in a 1 inch group at 100 yards, the dilemma now is do I clean it real good? Last year I shot at the range, got it dialed in at 100 yds, then cleaned it real good and went hunting, long story short, I missed a great 9 point at about 110 yards, went back to range fired it dirty, it was on, cleaned it real good, shot...it was 3-4 inches low, I think i am answering my own question here ....shoot it dirty, but I hate to leave it that dirty, should I clean it, shoot it once then hunt? Or clean it, use that Lube 1000 and then hunt? I have not tried that process yet so I am a little hesitant to do that.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What powder are you using, real BP or a substitute? In line or traditional? ...................................................I see a Savage ML in your future:) I would leave it however it was when shooting good, assuming you're not using real BP, then I'd say clean it. Any of the lube products always left inconsistencies for me, maybe that was just my experience with them though.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Craziness man!:) Go hunt it! There were about 300 hunters at MCAAP hunting last weekend.............conservation around the campfire was "we're only seeing deer between 10-2", were you out between those times last weekend?

We hunted morning and late afternoon. Was in the stand from about 6:30-9:00 and again about 4:30-7:15. Did hear 3 shots west of us towards chillicco about 5:00 on Saturday evening. I had my son with me and he was getting fidgety and we didn't stay as long as I would have liked. Trying to keep him interested but not overwhelm him. Have some things coming up and doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make it this weekend. Bummer, first black powder I have missed in 4 years.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to the range on Banner Road at lunch to sight in my ML, took me six shots but the last 3 were all in a 1 inch group at 100 yards, the dilemma now is do I clean it real good? Last year I shot at the range, got it dialed in at 100 yds, then cleaned it real good and went hunting, long story short, I missed a great 9 point at about 110 yards, went back to range fired it dirty, it was on, cleaned it real good, shot...it was 3-4 inches low, I think i am answering my own question here ....shoot it dirty, but I hate to leave it that dirty, should I clean it, shoot it once then hunt? Or clean it, use that Lube 1000 and then hunt? I have not tried that process yet so I am a little hesitant to do that.

You actually got 6 shots without cleaning it??? Dang I get like 2, maybe 3 then I cant get a bullet down the barrel for all the junk. I get mine sighted in, clean the barrel, shot a couple of caps in it to dry it out and hunt. Havent had a problem but most of my shots are 50-75 yards max...

Diggerman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got done shooting my in this afternoon. The one flyer was a load that had been left in since last season. Once that one was gone, all bullseyes at 100 yds. Bought this Savage ML10 in the fall of 2000 and can't count how many have fallen to it. Ready for season!:woot: 20131023_184847.jpg

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sticky, I'm in the same boat as you every year...sight in (dirty), clean, and HOPE its still good. So far they were off some but usually not enough to keep from killing first shot-problem is this is at average of 50-70 yd shot distances. So this year, I was going to clean after every shot while sighting in, thus knowing that once scope was on, it was ON! So far, the results of this practice suck; shot 9 shots on Monday without ever getting it to stay on course towards zero. So tomorrow, I plan to get the thing sighted in, even if I leave it dirty for the next two weeks! Good luck all!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your getting accurate shots, its not going to hurt to leave it dirty for the next 9 days. Shoot the load you have in the gun on Wednesday, and do it again. Your gun is telling you that it likes to run dirty.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So who all here uses the smokeless powder type muzzleloaders? And from a few minutes of research, it appears that Savage is the only "big name" company that made these, and that they no longer produce them; so is there anywhere left to find one of these? Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom