Muzzle loader starts this weekend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several custom company's still make them, but they aren't cheap. Savage made money on the line, but from what I understand, they could make more money on other lines and dropped this one. Can't say it won't come back some time in the future, but that's where it stands.
Google custom smokeless muzzle loader, and several will show up.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I saw some new ones last fall, I guess maybe they were left overs that hadn't sold yet. I should have bought a second Savage just to have in case something happened to the one I've got.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My hunting buddy bought one last year when they were in the last production run.

He didn't get near the accessory's I got with mine, and is not happy with the design of the bolt where the primer sets.

I haven't seen it yet, but from his description, its a different than mine bought in the early 2K

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Gunblast review was from 2001, I didn't realize that the ML-II had been out that long, I think I got mine in 05' or 06'. I've only ever seen one ML-I for sale used.

http://gunblast.com/SavageML10.htm

Oh Jeff on here speaks very highly of using Lil Gun Powder,But until I know someone in person that is using it and I know it is safe I will not use so if anyone on here uses it please tell

Last edited:

ABCnTul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went and sighted in my CVA Wolf yesterday at Happy Hollow in Kellyville. Had a scope on it last year but had trouble with it. Went to open sights and held a 3 1/2in group at 110yds. Switched to 240gr xtp mag express hollow point sabots from Walmart instead of the 295gr powerbelts I was shooting. They are dirt cheap $12 for 30 and switched from pellets to loose powder. Shooting with 90grs and really happy with my results. The Wolf shoots pretty darn well for a $140 rifle.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to go tomorrow to shoot mine.
I quit using bore butter a couple years ago..made the barrel crud ring. I use a 50-50 mix of candle wax and coconut oil.

I shot 2 times last year..then loaded a 3rd round never fired it off..I swabbed the barrel with a spit patch a few times.
Looks good still... we will see..
Had a buddy load his and it sat for 2 years.. hit bullseye when he shot it.

Another buddy had a relvolver pistol loaded for over 10 years.. shot all off without a hickup.

The optic sight missing could possibly be replaced with weed eater string.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Went and sighted in my CVA Wolf yesterday at Happy Hollow in Kellyville. Had a scope on it last year but had trouble with it. Went to open sights and held a 3 1/2in group at 110yds. Switched to 240gr xtp mag express hollow point sabots from Walmart instead of the 295gr powerbelts I was shooting. They are dirt cheap $12 for 30 and switched from pellets to loose powder. Shooting with 90grs and really happy with my results. The Wolf shoots pretty darn well for a $140 rifle.

Right after the pyrodex pellets came out, a friend of mine and myself bought a box to split to try. All was going well when he pulled the trigger there was a pop......sizzle and then three splashes in the pond right in front of us...............assuming it was the bullet/sabot an unburnt pellet and a partially burnt pellet????.........we threw the rest away.

ABCnTul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never had a problem with the pellets. They were convienient but much more expensive than loose powder. $>convienince for me. I swapped because of the $ but I like being able to have more control on my powder charge. I use my ML for gun season and also for fun shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom