My friends dog loves fresh shad (Bait). Healthy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love fishing for catfish. Part of that is catching your own bait. The dog loves fresh shad. She will eat as many as she can get and its hard to stop her. Is there any reason they're not healthy for a dog to eat?

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I found this. Bear in mind this same site says not to feed your dog bones or fat from your steak. My beagle got those regularly and lived to be 16, quite old for a beagle.

Raw meat and raw fish, like raw eggs, can contain bacteria that causes food poisoning. In addition, certain kinds of fish such as salmon, trout, shad, or sturgeon can contain a parasite that causes "fish disease" or "salmon poisoning disease." If not treated, the disease can be fatal within 2 weeks. The first signs of illness are vomiting, fever, and big lymph nodes. Thoroughly cooking the fish will kill the parasite and protect your dog.

That post can be (and might be) put in every steakhouse, breakfast, and sushi joint on the planet.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sushi is not made from fresh water fish. I don't know of anyplace that serves raw eggs or totally raw meat.

Steak tartare? Has both raw eggs and raw meat. Plus plenty of salmon sushi out there, I think. I don't eat sushi with fish in it, though, so I don't know.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Steak tartare? Has both raw eggs and raw meat. Plus plenty of salmon sushi out there, I think. I don't eat sushi with fish in it, though, so I don't know.

Like I said, I don't know of anyplace that sells raw eggs or raw meat. But then I don't know of too many Tatars around here. Salmon live almost their entire lives in salt water. I eat smoked salmon nigiri or sashimi, but that is not sushi.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fish that may contain parasites like salmon is frozen to -4F and kept there for at least 7 days to kill off any parasites before being consumed raw.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said, I don't know of anyplace that sells raw eggs or raw meat. But then I don't know of too many Tatars around here. Salmon live almost their entire lives in salt water. I eat smoked salmon nigiri or sashimi, but that is not sushi.

Sashimi is raw fish . Some sushi contains raw fish but all sashimi is raw fish.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, it wont hurt your dog. I drink raw eggs often. The myth that you will get salmonella from raw eggs is simply not true if you wash the shell good. Of course the eggs are pasteurized so washing is'nt really needed but I still do.

Last edited:

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, it wont hurt your dog. I drink raw eggs often. The myth that you will get salmonella from raw eggs is simply not true if you wash the shell good. Of course the eggs are pasteurized to washing is really needed but I still do.

Are you using and egg wash or just rinsing them under the tap?

Just curious. I grow my own eggs and just use tap water to rise just before using.

There is no way I'm putting raw eggs in me unless its in homemade ice cream.

Latest posts

Top Bottom