My neighbor really just asked me the stupidest question EVER...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what is the rationale for having so much ammo at one time? I have enough normally for a few mags for each of my guns, but I only hit the range maybe once a month and I don't shoot too much. But in not retired though lol.

Jeff, you might as well practice bump firing since you have so much on hand. I tried it last time at the range. It's kinda hard to do, but sure puts a big ol grin on your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what is the rationale for having so much ammo at one time? I have enough normally for a few mags for each of my guns, but I only hit the range maybe once a month and I don't shoot too much. But in not retired though lol.

Jeff, you might as well practice bump firing since you have so much on hand. I tried it last time at the range. It's kinda hard to do, but sure puts a big ol grin on your face.

Honestly, my rationale is having been through many ups and downs in the ammo market over the last 20 years that I've been an avid gun enthusiast and seeing many spikes in ammo prices, but never drops. I can remember before I got married about 17 or 18 years ago being in academy and they had Blazer aluminum cased ammo for $4.99 a box of 50. I never thought much about it because ammo just wasn't that expensive then. But now I think about those times when I am paying at $12 a box of 50 for decent brass cased ammo and I wish I had stocked up then like I do now. I think the same about 22lr bricks. Who would have ever thought 22lr would be in that high demand and the prices would be double or more when they did get back into stock. I can't change the past, but I can be prepared for the future. Ammo rarely ever drops in price. That's the reason. I hope it makes sense to some.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, my rationale is having been through many ups and downs in the ammo market over the last 20 years that I've been an avid gun enthusiast and seeing many spikes in ammo prices, but never drops. I can remember before I got married about 17 or 18 years ago being in academy and they had Blazer aluminum cased ammo for $4.99 a box of 50. I never thought much about it because ammo just wasn't that expensive then. But now I think about those times shem I paying at $12 a box of 50 for decent brass cased ammo and I wish I had stocked up then like I do now. I can't change the past, but I can be prepared for the future. Ammo rarely ever drops in price. That's the reason. I hope it makes sense to some.

Guess I've just never noticed ammo prices change. Only been into guns for 2 years though lol.

You ever try reloading and smelting lead? This old guy I see now and then at the range gives me all the .38 and .357 brass he picks up since he mostly looks for shot shells and .45. He says he can load .44 mag for like a nickel when he melts down his range scrap.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guess I've just never noticed ammo prices change. Only been into guns for 2 years though lol.

You ever try reloading and smelting lead? This old guy I see now and then at the range gives me all the .38 and .357 brass he picks up since he mostly looks for shot shells and .45. He says he can load .44 mag for like a nickel when he melts down his range scrap.

I have heard that. I have friends who reload and they definitely says it is worth the investment. I don't have an issue with spending a good chunk of money right now to buy all the reloading equipment I would need. My problem comes in with finding time to learn how to reload because I've never done it and just having time to do it on a regular basis once it's set up. My life is so crazy busy during the school year that I barely have time to even shoot that often. I need to though because it's the best stress reliever.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard that. I have friends who reload and they definitely says it is worth the investment. I don't have an issue with spending a good chunk of money right now to buy all the reloading equipment I would need. My problem comes in with finding time to learn how to reload because I've never done it and just having time to do it on a regular basis once it's set up. My life is so crazy busy during the school year that I barely have time to even shoot that often. I need to though because it's the best stress reliever.

Once you get your dies set up it's super easy. Only real variable is your powder charge, but I use a dispenser that works nicely and a digital scale to double check now and then.

See if your friend will let you load a few rounds on his set up or something. Bet you'd be surprised at how simple it is to load. It's mainly just a 3 step process.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once you get your dies set up it's super easy. Only real variable is your powder charge, but I use a dispenser that works nicely and a digital scale to double check now and then.

See if your friend will let you load a few rounds on his set up or something. Bet you'd be surprised at how simple it is to load. It's mainly just a 3 step process.

That is good to know. I will have to ask. Thanks...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wowzers. I need to get back to collecting ammo and reloading. I've got the setup, just haven't put the time into learning it all. <sigh> Someday...

Of course, reloading doesn't help with .22, but at least after 4+ years I am seeing it regularly on the shelves again. Thank God for that!

Latest posts

Top Bottom