My old Suburban

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will take my 87 burb just about anywhere without worry. It is 2wd, but it is a tank. It has been in several pretty good accidents, but it is a beast. I hit a very large heifer in my 65 C10, no seatbelt, was doing 60. wrecked the hood and radiator, I walked away without a scratch or bruise. I truly believe there was celestial intervention, but that is a story for another day. rigged a salvage yard radiator form a 76 Impala (did not fit, but all we could find), and drove it from home to OKC from Dalhart tx where I hit the cow.

That said, new cars are safer.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hit a very large heifer in my 65 C10, no seatbelt, was doing 60. wrecked the hood and radiator, I walked away without a scratch or bruise. I truly believe there was celestial intervention, but that is a story for another day. rigged a salvage yard radiator form a 76 Impala (did not fit, but all we could find), and drove it from home to OKC from Dalhart tx where I hit the cow.

Good to know. I have a 65 C10 (first car) I still drive a couple days a week. I certainly don't ever want to find out how safe it is. Lawl.

Before I put seats with integral shoulder belts in it, that steering wheel always looked like it wanted to knock out my teeth in a fender bender.

Dalhart, eh? Damn. Lucky you weren't hurt. If that was before cell phones, I'd not want to be stuck out there. That is the absolute middle of nothin'.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good to know. I have a 65 C10 (first car) I still drive a couple days a week. I certainly don't ever want to find out how safe it is. Lawl.

Before I put seats with integral shoulder belts in it, that steering wheel always looked like it wanted to knock out my teeth in a fender bender.

Dalhart, eh? Damn. Lucky you weren't hurt. If that was before cell phones, I'd not want to be stuck out there. That is the absolute middle of nothin'.

1995. Thanksgiving, 1 am. The cow was so big, I thought it was a dude on a horse. Wrapped the hood around the windshield. Threw the battery out, pushed the radiator into the valve cover (250 6).

I got out, pushed the truck to the side of the road and tried to flag down a truck. He couldn't see me. I realized that I was going to get killed, so I moved to the opposite shoulder (oncoming) waving my hands. I hear a phwump sound. the semi hit the cow again and popped it over my truck and it slid about 300 feet. Had I not moved to the other side, I would have been hit by the damn cow.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the main reasons we will keep our '96 Tahoe and '99 Suburban is the fact that they are two wheel drive and have a much lower center of gravity and handle measurably better than the newer models that all have the high center of gravity of the four wheel drive models.

Woody

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the main reasons we will keep our '96 Tahoe and '99 Suburban is the fact that they are two wheel drive and have a much lower center of gravity and handle measurably better than the newer models that all have the high center of gravity of the four wheel drive models.

Woody

This is one of the reasons I like the AWD versions of these. My 2005 Yukon Denali was AWD. Additionally I lowered it 2" in the front and about 5 " in the rear. The 2007 and newer bodies are taller. I lowered the replacement 2012 2" and 3". Handles great and looks much better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom