My Struggle with Prepping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannibal7

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started seriously prepping about 4 years ago (wonder why?), but for the last year I've kind of slowed down. It's not that I don't think it'll be needed soon, but rather that I wonder how much of life I'm missing by focusing so hard on a possible future scenario. I recently tried to remedy this by involving myself in more "fun" hobbies. I just joined a band as the lead guitarist and took up an electronics hobby (robotics)..

Does anyone else feel this disparity between taking advantage of the good life we have now versus preparing to stay alive in the future?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmmmm, do you save for retirement? Wouldn't that money be better spent on having fun now? If your prepping to such an obsession that you have no other life and your family is doing without because of it, then I would say back off a bit. I thoroughly believe in enjoying what the day has to offer, but also prepare for tomorrow. Neither should interfere with the other, find your balance. :twocents:

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmmmm, do you save for retirement? Wouldn't that money be better spent on having fun now? If your prepping to such an obsession that you have no other life and your family is doing without because of it, then I would say back off a bit. I thoroughly believe in enjoying what the day has to offer, but also prepare for tomorrow. Neither should interfere with the other, find your balance. :twocents:

Well said Turkey. OP, don't let it consume you. Just do a little here and there and it will work out or it won't. You can't prep for everything, so do what you can and enjoy what little time you have with your family and loved ones.

On a side note, I enjoy hobbies that could be beneficial in a crap situation (hunting, fishing, trapping, gardening, etc). I share all of these hobbies with my wife, except hunting/trapping, which makes them more enjoyable. If it's a furry critter, she can't get herself to kill it. To each their own.

Hannibal7

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I would agree that I got a bit obsessive for a while. Which was the point of this thread: to find the balance. I never let my family time get diminished, but I did stop golfing and traveling as much. I think part of it is the "waiting for the other shoe to drop" feeling. The good news is that my prepping has afforded me a peace of mind about whatever happens. I think because of my efforts that I am just now able to let my guard down a little.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found myself in Defcon 1 for awhile, but backed off and couldn't be happier. I have some stuff put back and I add to it a little at a time and just do what I can to enjoy life.

OKMinuteman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been a serious preppet since 1978. Saved a fortune primarily because it helped me FOCUS on the important aspects of life. Family, health, finances, security, reliability, dedication, communication, friendships, compassion and commitment. Didn't miss a thing and looking back I do wish I still had a dozen or so of those 1000 oz silver ingots I use to buy @$ 2500 a pop back in 1981. Fail to plan, plan to fail.

Hannibal7

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found myself in Defcon 1 for awhile, but backed off and couldn't be happier. I have some stuff put back and I add to it a little at a time and just do what I can to enjoy life.

Exactly! Great way to explain it.

And yes, OKMinuteman, I wish I'd bought more silver back then. It wasn't so long ago that it was beyond cheap. I still think it's underpriced. It's such a small market, so it's easier for manipulation to enter into the equation. Much harder to do with gold. I still buy silver every month and probably always will. That said, I am probably happier about my pile of .22LR ammo than my pile of silver/gold!!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gold and silver are / can be manipulated, as can ANY market. I have chosen to put my money into land, lead and brass; up until this year anyway. Our paper money is on the brink of collapse. When the SHTF, land for self-sufficiency and the means to protect it will be more important than silver and gold; IMHO.

Hannibal7

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gold and silver are / can be manipulated, as can ANY market. I have chosen to put my money into land, lead and brass; up until this year anyway. Our paper money is on the brink of collapse. When the SHTF, land for self-sufficiency and the means to protect it will be more important than silver and gold; IMHO.

Hard to argue that point.. If the whole thing falls right off a cliff (EMP), then that will be exactly right. If, on the other hand there is a tailing off towards that end point, then gold and silver will buy a lot of land and everything else.. Guess it depends on the conditions of the collapse.

Latest posts

Top Bottom