Need Automotive Help....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know we have a few expert mechanics on here and I need some of that knowledge please....

1976 Corvette with stock 350. The car ran just fine until one day it wouldn't start and once jump started it wouldn't charge the electrical system and turning on accessories like headlights caused power to decrease and die. Alternator was replaced and everything worked fine for a year but the same thing happened again. Alternator was replaced despite it being tested as good at Auto Zone. It ran great for a month and then same thing again.

Is this a case of multiple crappy alternators from Auto Zone or is there another possible reason this is happening?

Thanks

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you had the battery tested? If you don't get enough voltage out of the battery, the field in the alternator will weaken and eventually collapse. IIRC, you have (or had) a Lincoln LS--I can tell you that electronic monster will act like it's possessed if the battery voltage gets below ~12.7V.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you had the battery tested? If you don't get enough voltage out of the battery, the field in the alternator will weaken and eventually collapse. IIRC, you have (or had) a Lincoln LS--I can tell you that electronic monster will act like it's possessed if the battery voltage gets below ~12.7V.

Yes. Possibly a battery or regulator.

Latest posts

Top Bottom