Need expert opinions, please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I inherited my Father's revolver not long ago and would like opinions on what would be a good and feasible trade for it. Not looking for offers now, or here, as that might get us in trouble since I haven't been here a full month yet.

But here's the deal. Back in 1984, both I and my Father bought new, 4", blue, Colt Pythons in .357 magnum. I carried mine for quite a while then traded it for a S&W 686 and a 12 gauge Winchester shotgun. Dad kept his. It's new, never been fired, excellent condition. He took his home that day, loaded it with 158 grain hollowpoints, and stuffed it in his sock drawer. He passed away a couple of years ago and Mom gave me the Python. It has the owner's manual, but she can't find the box. I know for a fact that my Dad never shot this revolver, and there's not a mark on it since it was cradled in cotton all those years. I just got it a few months ago.

I really want either an AR, or a nice (forget the 300-500 dollar ones) over-under 20 gauge like the Franchi Veloce, or something similar.

I know nothing about the ARs (other than I carried one in the Air Force for 5 years) so I have no idea what a good AR is versus a bad one. What are my chances of trading this Python off for a "good" (doesn't have to be the best) AR or shotgun??? Say like at a gun show?

I have seen Pythons at some gun shows that I'd be ashamed to own going in the neighborhood of $1,100.00. We paid $525.00 each back in 1984.

Thanks for all replies and suggestions.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, I would never forgive myself if I got rid of that gun. But that's just me.

If you really want an AR, just save up an dbuy one. Don't trade a magnificent gun like that for one. Especially since it was your dad's.

BC

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, I would never forgive myself if I got rid of that gun. But that's just me.

If you really want an AR, just save up an dbuy one. Don't trade a magnificent gun like that for one. Especially since it was your dad's.

BC
HUGE +1!!!! You'll never forgive yourself if you do. A "new" unfired Colt Python that was your fathers is a priceless gun in my opinion.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A woman I work with has a nickel plated Colt Python that she pulled out when I took her to the range. She does'nt seem to know how revered and loved a revolver it is. The other pistol she wanted to practice with was a Star Firestar 9MM compact. I told her she could ask $800.00 for the Colt Python and get it if she found the right kind of collector/afficianado. I suggested she upgrade from the Firestar for a better self-defense pistol. If I had a Python to sell/trade and wanted a AR-15 type weapon, I'd get what I could for the revolver $800-1000 and get a Rock River Arms carbine. All of their rifles and carbines are stamped LAR-15. Look at the website to choose the right configuration for you. Barrel length, stock furniture, iron A2 style sights or flat top piccatinny rail for optics mounting. I've seen basic models priced at $700-1,000.00. Owned and competed with two of them and love them. HTH.

LeadSlinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a bunch of guns that were my dads...some really expensive and some, not so much...He passed away when I was 13 years old...we where best buddies. I am 44 now and I have every single one of them. I would never, not ever get rid of one these guns for any amount of money. They mean the world to me. So my suggestion, keep the Python....pass it along to someone special to you...my two cents.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you don't have the box I'm going to say it's worth around $1100. My Standard Catalog lists NIB at $1350. You will take a hit for not having the box. So you should be able to get into a very nice AR if you want.

Personally I'd keep it. It will never be worth less than it is now because even if they do start making them again, they won't be as good. They'll have MIM parts, laser marking instead of roll stamping, The hand fitting of the hammer/sear won't happen, etc., etc. Plus the sentimental factor you have with it is likely more than any price it will bring. My dad just passed and he left me a S&W model 19. I know he shot it, but it's pristine. It ain't no Python but I'll never sell it.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you do sell it to get an AR (and I wouldn't personally), I'd get a really nice AR or you're short-changing yourself.

Budsgunshop.com has some pretty good deals on Sabre Defense guns - I'd hit them up since they take in trades.

Although even with the "might get into trouble" part of the OP's post, I bet he's already got tons of PMs about his gun and thus successfully bypassed the OSA classified rule.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Danny, Danny, Danny........

1.That Colt is a keeper........1st, its a Colt. 2nd, its a Python. 3rd, it was your fathers.

2. AR-15's....oh there's about a BAZILLION!!! Thery're plentiful and I don't see a shortage in sight!!!!!!!!!How many unfired, excellent condition Colt Pythons can you name?????

3. Dude......save up, put it on a credit card, put it in lay-away, get a second job........trust me.......you'll be sorry in more ways than one, if you let that Colt go for an AR-15.

4. If you trade that off.......I've got a bridge in San Francisco that I'll sell you......cheap, really cheap.

Just my 2cents.

******Don't you dare get rid of your father's gun********

Cohiba

Latest posts

Top Bottom