Need fishing help - where to fish in the metro area, with no boat.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to find some places to fish this year. I don't have a boat so I need to find places to wade into a stream or to fish off the bank. I've been doing without for a long time now, just waiting it out until I had opportunities to get back to Missouri and go trout fishing with Dad, but I need to find some local spots. 2 fishing trips a year just isn't acceptable these days.

I went out to Thunderbird a few years ago and was VERY under impressed with the access, but I may have just been fishing in the wrong spot.

Can anybody offer up any advice? I live in the Moore/Norman area and the closer to home the better, but I'd probably drive as far as an hour if it means getting to some good fishing.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some pretty good small fishing ponds on the Lexington Public Hunting Area plus Lake Dahlgen. Purcell Lake is pretty good, too. Another nice Wildlife Dept. lake is Lake Burtchi southeast of Chickasha.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some pretty good small fishing ponds on the Lexington Public Hunting Area plus Lake Dahlgen. Purcell Lake is pretty good, too. Another nice Wildlife Dept. lake is Lake Burtchi southeast of Chickasha.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

Thanks for the leads, I'm making a list and I'll just hit everything I can find until I find some spots I like. I appreciate it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you interested in going up to Kaw?

You'll get more response from this thread in the hunting/fishing section.
Your post there was only about Eufala. Open up your request.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't even realize there was a Hunting/Fishing section. Thanks - I'll see if I can get a Mod to move the thread and title it something a little more specific.

As far as Kaw - I just checked google maps & its showing a little over 2 hours drive time, I don't know that I'd drive that far just to scout fishing holes.

I need a boat.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't even realize there was a Hunting/Fishing section. Thanks - I'll see if I can get a Mod to move the thread and title it something a little more specific.

As far as Kaw - I just checked google maps & its showing a little over 2 hours drive time, I don't know that I'd drive that far just to scout fishing holes.

I need a boat.

May not need a boat. The fishing below the dam is impressive, especially if you want to snag spoonbill, and the crappie/sandbass can be had from the bank.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May not need a boat. The fishing below the dam is impressive, especially if you want to snag spoonbill, and the crappie/sandbass can be had from the bank.

Hmm? I may have to see if I can rope in a fishing buddy and make the trip if you think it's worth the drive.

It definitely wouldn't be further then Montauk & Bennett Springs where I go to trout fish... LOL

I'll never quit driving to go to Montauk though - no matter how long I'm away from there, that's home and it is just gorgeous there. You don't even mind if you don't catch fish on the REALLY pretty days.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thunderbird in the summer and spring fish off the dam to catch many nice sunfish and bas and catfish...
the water intake is a good area...but hard to acess on foot now
those flats on the westside have a lot of cats on warm spring days.

below the dam at Kaw is a must do during the spring rains ..60lb spoonbills a must do.
I like below the dam at eufaulla during deer bow season and when they generate water now till who knows ,,you will find plenty of sandbass and catfish.
if it is slow i head to the other side of the dam and do well there

sandbass are beginning to hit at overholser,,it is 12-13 feet deep now at the deepest area,,so it warms quickly..the east side has served me well.

I spend most of my fishing time at Webberfalls....long drive but it pays off with big good tasting catfish...summers ferry area and below the dam all the way down to the flats below the power lines will produce lots of action...

I will be there at least once a month this year,,, Hopefully...

Latest posts

Top Bottom