Need new Wireless router, access point

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wireless router I use to allow visitors to log into for internet access died. I have it on a different IP so they can't access my network and I need a replacement that is affordable. I bought a Linksys WRT3200 ACM off eBay for $150.00 which was a big mistake. What a piece of crap requiring creating an internet account on the Linksys site to be able to configure the durn thing which I refuse to do. Suspose to be a way to access the configuration locally but it doesn't work because Linksys has a firmware issue.

Anyway I'm looking for a replacement router with maximum range, $100.00 - $150.00 that I don't have to jump through hoops to configure. The router needs to be "High Power" it is in a metal building and the computers and phones that access it are usually a fair distance from the router. The Amped R1000 that died worked fine but it only lasted a year.

Any recommendations?

LinearZero

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Huge fan of Google Wifi. I'm in the field, and always went with a classic Linksys and DDWRT, but simplicity won out this time. Google Wifi runs an AC mesh setup, so you can buy one or more, and they do not require a Cat5 backbone. Everything registers with your Google account, and you can use the app to configure, set up guest networks (cannot access core network), set schedules (kids bedtime), prioritize a device, pause a device's access, and more. One is $100 bucks, you can get 3-packs for $250-280. I have 2 of them and am covering my whole property (.75 acre), but that's more to cover my second story and go through all the walls to the back of the house.

Price might be just a bit beyond what you were looking for, but from someone who's blown through a router a year because most of them are so cheap, this is completely worth it.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would suggest looking at https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/ or one of the other UniFi AP's

You can use multiples together in a mesh network but they really shine when you have them all wired and working together. They can be setup with separate wireless LAN's and can easily be configured for captive portal so guest get warnings about use etc. You can also make it so that the guest network can not access the rest of the Wireless so not only do you get good coverage for the guest net but the same coverage for everything else. One area has a dead spot that you want to cover and you run a cat5 and add another AP. Walk around a hospital or large clinic and you will see that AP's all over. That is how they setup the coverage to blanket the place.

The bad thing is that they are only AP's. However for that I would suggest using OPNsense, https://opnsense.org/ grab an older computer and put some Intel NIC's in and it should work great. The reason for the Intel NIC is that a lot of the cheapo Realtek stuff just doesn't work right.

The cost may be a little higher to begin with but what you gain in the long run is huge. And it's much simpler to upgrade an AP like the one I linked. It's not hard to set things up and is a much better long term solution IMHO.

Blackbirdpilot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A bit more money but Asus AC3100 would fit the bill pretty well. It has very strong wireless signal and has a guest network you can enable so you can run both networks on the same router. I am using Merlin firmware which is just the asus firmware that has been enhanced.
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki
I've been running this router for a few months now and am very happy with it.
The asus interface is very nice and easy to use.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really looking for something like the old Linksys WRT I put DD-WRT on to use for streaming video to our TV but with a little more range. That old Linksys was being used for guest access before I replaced it with the Amped and has been working for 5 or 6 years. It's range was marginal for the application and why I replaced it, The Amped worked great till it broke.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To wrap this up, ordered an Asus RT-AC68R refurbished from Newegg for 109.99. Have had excellent luck buying refurbished stuff from Newegg and TigerDirect hoping it continues. Couple things made me decide on this router, DD-WRT can be installed and it has received good reviews on range. If it works out as well as I hope I might try to find another one for cheap on eBay just to have a backup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom