Neighbors and new fence build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcgee10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I did mine, I just asked the neighbors about the fence. One said ok. One asked how much $. The other said no. I got 2 sides replaced. We split the costs. The other that said no originally then came to ask if we would split her fence after she had to retrieve her dogs from the pound serveral times because her fence was crap and they kept getting out. Animal control advised her that after 3 times per dog, there was a $500 fine per dog. Her half was $750. I had the fence done by a contractor. He did contracts on each half between all neighbors. That way if I paid him my half and the neighbor did not, he could just file a lein on the person that did not pay.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I couldn't afford to split cost with someone right now. I would have to refuse a neighbor. I could offer my labor and would bring my own tools. I have to plan purchases and my plans may not fit the timing of my neighbors plans.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My neighbors (3 neighbors on 3 sides) have always offered to pay 50/50 when I've rebuilt. I've done a full rebuild twice in 30 years. Good neighbors. I never took a dime from them though.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I couldn't afford to split cost with someone right now. I would have to refuse a neighbor. I could offer my labor and would bring my own tools. I have to plan purchases and my plans may not fit the timing of my neighbors plans.

And if your neighbors are as honest and reasonable as you, they should have no problem with this. It sounds like you can't afford it financially, but you're still willing to pay with your time and hard work. If I were your neighbor, I'd respectfully appreciate your counter offer.

I went through this a couple of years ago. The neighborhood behind mine is at least 10 years older, so when my house was built, the fence was worn. The neighbor behind me caught me out mowing my backyard and asked if I'd be interesting in splitting the costs. As a first-time home owner in my first year at the house, I wasn't sure how to respond. Since I was about to get married and the fence was fine for the time being, I told him I'd have to get back with him on what I could due, mainly because I was planning a wedding. He respectfully understood and I discussed it, even with some of you here, and decided despite the legal obligation that either of us would have held or not held, the neighborly thing to do is split the costs, which we did.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up on a farm and there may be some laws covering this. I know that a shared fence is shared costs too. I have heard that if you stand facing the fence on your side you are responsible for the right half and the same for your neighbor which would be the left half from your side. Farm neighbors that like each other can work out details. My Mom's farm has horse wire that was put up when my grandfather was alive. He died in 1956. Some of that wire is shared with neighbors. Fences can be a problem between neighbors.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up on a farm and there may be some laws covering this. I know that a shared fence is shared costs too. I have heard that if you stand facing the fence on your side you are responsible for the right half and the same for your neighbor which would be the left half from your side. Farm neighbors that like each other can work out details. My Mom's farm has horse wire that was put up when my grandfather was alive. He died in 1956. Some of that wire is shared with neighbors. Fences can be a problem between neighbors.

For no other reason that just general assumption, I assumed that if the posts were on your side, it was your fence. I hate when the posts aren't in my backyard. Feels less "backyardy" to me.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the neighbor takes advantage of the section of fence you put up on the shared property line, and fences in the remainder of his property that joins with the fence on the shared property line, then he has to pay you for half the cost of the shared fence.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For no other reason that just general assumption, I assumed that if the posts were on your side, it was your fence. I hate when the posts aren't in my backyard. Feels less "backyardy" to me.

But if the posts are on the inside ...then how are the pesky neighbor kids gonna find that hotwire...?

.OK not funny twice

If there is question of who owns the fence ,the side with the posts owns it ,,,,,unless you can show receipt of material or installation.

Its just preference ..front of house , posts toward yard..back of house , posts to alley

(you Really thought I was kidding about the wire?... ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom