New Pickup Advice Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Currently, there are additional rebates on the 5.0 that are not offered on the Ecoboost so it's closer to a $2k difference. I'd probably still buy the EB though not only for the additional power, but where it makes the additional power and the fact it responds to a tuner.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my wife a new f150 ecoboost, it will run like a scalded dog and gets 18 - 19 mpg, until you
hook something to it. Pulled a 16' cargo trailer from tahlequah to ponca and back and averaged 8 mpg.
Ouch!!! My old worn out 6.0 3/4 ton Chevy would have gotten at least 10.

It might be possible that the Ford F150 (1/2 ton) compared to the mileage of the 3/4 ton Chevy is a case of gearing, both in the transmission and the differential ratio. The 3/4 ton in any brand is likely to get better mileage towing than a 1/2 ton.

While I have both a Ford F150 (2010) and a 2008 Ford F450, any comments I make would be based on the fact that most of my "recent" (last 4 years) of research is based on truck capable of towing RV's of various sizes. That said, the GM products are still lacking to some degree, compared to Ford and Dodge. When discussing this online at RV forums, a common reference is that considering the Big 3, the Ford has the best ride and interior amenities and comfort. I've had GM owners be amazed at the room available in the Fords.

Any advantages in the big trucks (F350/3500 series) is in the engine and not the cab with respect to Dodge and GM. In the 1/2 category, those advantages disappear. We've taken our F150 to Canon City, Colorado a couple of times and even that drive is comfortable. Unless you will never take friends or other family members, be sure and get the 4-door version of what ever brand you get. Your passengers will REALLY appreciate it. So will you if you ever have to ride in the back seat.

One tip. When test driving a truck, make sure that part of the test drive is with either yourself or someone else riding in the back seat. The wife and I have done that for years. She test drives first and then hands it over to me. At some point in the test drive, I stop and she rides in the back seat. (That has freaked out a couple of salesmen at times.)

Good luck. I might also mention that I went back to Ford years ago after driving just about every brand out there. I've always had less trouble with my Fords than I have with the GM and Dodge trucks. The worst I ever had were GM's.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a huge class action lawsuit against Ford on their ecoboost engines. It's getting ready to get ugly. With all the problems I would buy bow tie right now.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/05/15/ford-owners-sue-saying-ecoboost-engine-defective/

Huge??? Huge???

3 people have sued and 100 have complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Plus the NHTSA has NOT started an investigation.

"The lawsuit says more than 100 drivers have complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the V6 EcoBoost rattling or losing power. Ford hasn't recalled any vehicles for the alleged defect, and NHTSA hasn't opened an investigation, which is often the first step in the recall process."

100 complaints out of how many EcoBoost engines sold?

I certainly wouldn't call this "HUGE."

noslogto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an '11 Gmc but if I had to do it over I would probably spend the extra cash and go with the Tundra 5.7. I have had "0" problems, but just miss the torque and power that the Tundra has. Granted, mine isn't the 6.2 Denali but still, with the 5.3 it feels like it's straining to pull my lawn mower trailer.

My vote would either be a Tundra or a 5.0 Ford.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have written service for Toyota, Chevrolet and ford, in order I would buy a Chevy, ford and only a Tacoma. I would never buy a tundra.

The Tacoma I would buy over any full size if I did not really need a full size. Damn good little truck.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a huge class action lawsuit against Ford on their ecoboost engines.
Three people (two of whom are married to each other) hardly constitutes "huge," and it's not a class-action, just a "normal" lawsuit. Also, the married couple is suing over a Taurus SHO, not an F150.

I've heard a few reports from people who've experienced the problems, and they've all said that a PCM reflash fixed the problems--one even said that a Ford engineer called him to get detailed information about what he was experiencing. They all said that the reflash made it a non-issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom