New Pickup Advice Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ford and Gub'ment Motors aren't the only playas in town anymore. Do your due diligence. Ram trucks are now kicking azz. They converted me after 20 years of driving Fords. Hemi is incredible and it's gets great MPG for a 395hp, 407ft/lbs V8 beast of a truck.
Not to mention they are dead sexy. 2013 RAMs are a huge leap forward for the brand. The quality interior fit and finish along with the numerous upgrades are noteworthy.

Do yourself a favor, check out some more trucks.

If your still stuck between Ford and Gutless Motors..... Go with the Ford. Don't bother with Eco boost get the 5.0 !!!
Who wants a frickin V6 in their half ton truck anyway????

Now then, if Go-under Motors gives you a truck for free and pays you $500 a month to drive it.....do it!!

As for TOYoty?!?! LOL...that's all I have to say about that uh hmm....."truck".

Good luck!

Last edited:

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my wife a new f150 ecoboost, it will run like a scalded dog and gets 18 - 19 mpg, until you
hook something to it. Pulled a 16' cargo trailer from tahlequah to ponca and back and averaged 8 mpg.
Ouch!!! My old worn out 6.0 3/4 ton Chevy would have gotten at least 10.

I Pull my boat halfway across the state (the hilly part) with my 2012 RAM and get 13 MPG.
Its not a light boat either.
Best my Ford 5.4 could ever muster was about 10 MPG on a good day.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Hemi is a good engine and the Ram's are so much better than they used to be. The Ecoboost is faster and gets better MPG than the Hemi though.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ram or Toyota IMO. FWIW I own 2 Rams. A 2012 1500 laramie 4x4 with all the crap and a 2012 2500 4x4 with the cummins. Love both of them. Would have no problem with a tundra but the ram has a much fresher design. The current tundra is getting long in the tooth.

You will be hard pressed to find the nice interior without nav in it now days. Never have been a navigation fan but when the wife and I went to Dallas earlier this spring, it sure was nice. Just about the only time I use it though. Wife is directionally challenged though so she gets more use out of it.

After having owned a Ford for 117k miles, I am really curious to see how these ecoboost engines play out. Given the big time problems with the 5.4 motor I wouldn't trust ford at all with this hopped up, twin turbo'd v-6. Looks like a friggin disaster to me.

If you must with go with the ford, I would definitely get the 5.0. At least they should have some practice in building that kind of motor. A rice burner engine is not quite what ford's expertise is.

GM is so far behind the others that it is not even funny. My grandmother bought a 2011 silverado and it is ridiculously cheaply made. Just a totally inferior truck. Less interior room, less power, worse ride quality, plastic out the azz interior. In every category it is the hind tit.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My advice is don't buy a NEW truck unless you can write it off.

You always take a big loss as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Get one that is a couple years old, and that has a proven track record.

Buying a vehicle with the latest technology, before it has been debugged, can be a real pain.

prather

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 2010 ford f150 xlt bought it new.about every 4000 miles i would hear bad grinding sound from left front wheel sounded like 4x4 trying to ingage.next was the ac did not cool well at all.rear class started to leak when it would rain every thing would get wet in the rear cab, head liner would get soaked.check this out on the internet for yourself.traded it off for a 2012 chevy 4x4 LTZ good truck no problems.ford had about 20k before I traded it off.the fords look great but i dont think there trucks are that good.ford warrenty are not that great power train 60 k chevolet 100k....

SoonerShooter08

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll preface my statements by saying that I have a 2011 Ford Raptor. People keep saying that the Ecoboost gets better mpg. This really depends on how you use the truck. The Ecoboost will post great mpg numbers while unloaded all day long especially on the highway. If you, however, tow or haul fairly heavy loads on a regular basis then you'll see the mpg gap between an Ecoboost and a 5.0 or 6.2l start to close and at a certain point the Ecoboost will get worse mpg. The concept of V8 power from a V6 through the use of forced induction is great, but unfortunately it takes more air AND fuel to make more power. That Ecoboost engine isn't going to get V6-like mpg under sustained heavy engine load or if you have a very heavy foot.

Basically, if you only tow rarely or only tow or haul light loads than the Ecoboost is great. Otherwise, get the appropriate engine based on your intended use.

Personally, value wise I'd go with a new Ram Outdoorsman edition or similar based on value and the fact that the Ram 5.7l seems to get decent mpg.

I bought a Ford Raptor because I always liked the Ford Lightning and wished it had 4x4. The Raptor is no drag strip king, but it's an absolute joy offroad. Like having a 6200lb ATV. Also, lets face it. The Boss 6.2l engine sounds way better than not Ecoboost no matter what you do.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Most the yahoos on here don't deal with this sort of crap but if you live out far, do NOT buy a make you don't have of a dealer near you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom