New to Oklahoma. Public land whitetail. Need advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtont86

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello to all. I've moved to OK from Kentucky. Only public land to hunt right now. Found a funnel on google earth in the Washita-Texoma Arm, went in blind and set a stand by Courtney creek, but found it to be hog heaven. After one sit, I was able to scout and no deer sign at all in this area.

All that said, I need some advice from fellow Oklahoma hunters that have hunted this area before. Where do I go to find whitetail? Is there another public place close to Ardmore that would be better to hunt whitetail?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to Oklahoma. We’re pretty friendly and helping people for the most part. BUT, when it comes to our deer hunting. Not so much. Pretty tight lipped actually. Speaking about specific spots/locations that is.

Now as far as tips and tricks and just about everything else, this is a great place for information.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, well sorry 'bout that, I have been in Oklahoma since I was stationed here in 1988, also grew up in KY, hunted deer in the Land Between the Lakes and in Ballard County there, and have hunted all over western OK.
There is good hunting in the OK draw hunts
https://www.wildlifedepartment.com
and leases are available. There is a shortage of public land wide open to everybody, it gets pressure, and most of Oklahoma is private land.

Newtont86

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I figured folks would be tight lipped Coach (it's that way everywhere) so I didn't expect specifics. I just want to get away from hogs. Is my best option to stay away from creeks and river areas? And if so, how far is far enough?

I'd love to come across private land. Would actually prefer to own. Maybe one day. Right now, I'll work what I have to put some venison in the freezer.

Thanks again and stay safe.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I figured folks would be tight lipped Coach (it's that way everywhere) so I didn't expect specifics. I just want to get away from hogs. Is my best option to stay away from creeks and river areas? And if so, how far is far enough?

I'd love to come across private land. Would actually prefer to own. Maybe one day. Right now, I'll work what I have to put some venison in the freezer.

Thanks again and stay safe.
Its tough to get away from hogs anywhere in Okla now. Some of the northern counties have less issues than others. All 77 counties have hog populations.
I live in Osage county. There are zero hogs where I live in the country, but a few miles south, they are trapping some.
The north end of Kaw lake is infested with them, but the south end has zero issues.

Anymore you just have to learn to hunt around the pigs or find areas where they aren't.
Some of the best private deer hunting land I know of has been ruined by those vermin.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out wildlifedepartment.com. I believe they just opened a new WMA down near you. I think it's archery only, so that may be a good option for less educated deer and less pressure. I prefer hunting near creeks and swampy areas. The deer almost always use the same travel routes and they are easy to find. Pigs will push them around, but it is usually other hunters that bust deer out of the area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom