Newbie for this preppers stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
unpopular opinion on this forum: don't spend too much time or money...prepping for SHTF is similar to buying protective puts to hedge your portfolio...99.9% of the time it serves no purpose and is a waste of money.

do it only if you genuinely enjoy learning about survival in these types of situations.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
So long time OSA member, very green newb to prepping. Without opening a can of worms 🐛 🪱 if I had a budget of say $1,500 what would you buy?

My obvious is food, water, security (I have pew pews and food for them).

so after the initial entry of $1,500 what should I focus on?
Cash, alcohol and gasoline.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
unpopular opinion on this forum: don't spend too much time or money...prepping for SHTF is similar to buying protective puts to hedge your portfolio...99.9% of the time it serves no purpose and is a waste of money.

do it only if you genuinely enjoy learning about survival in these types of situations.
And how exactly does on plan to protect all the food stores etc, from the gangs that will form (if things really went South for any length of time)? You need more people, to help you, which means more stuff, and more people that know… so more risk… I just want to die in the first wave of anything lasting more than a few weeks.

Last edited:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have enough food, water for my family for 3 days for storm season to go in the shelter, after that…

Last edited:

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And how exactly does on plan to protect all the food stores etc, from the gangs that will form (if things really went outhouse length of time)? You need more people, to help you, which means more stuff, and more people that know… so more risk… I just want to die in the first wave of anything lasting more than a few weeks.

I have enough old, water for my family for 3 days for storm season to go in the shelter, after that…
i think i follow what you are saying. IMO many people that invest a lot of effort and time into prepping for doomsday or SHTF scenarios are fabricating a dream like fantasy future that doesn't even exist as a way to feed their fear and anxieties. Yes, it is possible, no it is not at all likely.

Having a genuine interest in survival is one thing...hoping for disaster to justify your obsession is another.

I can support my claims by asking the question: How many times has your mega stockpile of ammo and food and water saved you and your family from certain doom in your lifetime, in the united states? Certain doom means just that, you would 100% have died without your stockpile to get you through.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i think i follow what you are saying. IMO many people that invest a lot of effort and time into prepping for doomsday or SHTF scenarios are fabricating a dream like fantasy future that doesn't even exist as a way to feed their fear and anxieties. Yes, it is possible, no it is not at all likely.

Having a genuine interest in survival is one thing...hoping for disaster to justify your obsession is another.

I can support my claims by asking the question: How many times has your mega stockpile of ammo and food and water saved you and your family from certain doom in your lifetime, in the united states? Certain doom means just that, you would 100% have died without your stockpile to get you through.
Yep, I prepare for the likely scenario. We did uses the water during the freeze, power fun earlier this year. Tornados are likely, so I’m prepared to be stuck in a tiny storm shelter. Long term survival, I’d need a lot more friends or better yet, just keep society intact

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

well emergency rations are just that. food that is preserved and stockpiled can be used at literally any time.
it's not like you can't touch the meat in the freezer or the extra rice until the zombies come out of the ground.
no, if you just make a purchase or have an emergency repair/bill/etc you can just simply already eat the stuff you've stockpiled and get your food cost down to literally $0 for a month or two. plus, you are offsetting inflation, hell i see that already. frozen chunks of pork i'm pulling out of the freezer from last winter were several bucks cheaper than the pieces i'm replacing them with. so again, if you buy when you *can*, you'll offset the inflation and/or gouging of buying when you *need*.

that pays for itself, ask me how I know. i dunno, i learned it from my great grandparents who went thru the depression. now i guess it's called "prepping", but it was just how they lived.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
well emergency rations are just that. food that is preserved and stockpiled can be used at literally any time.
it's not like you can't touch the meat in the freezer or the extra rice until the zombies come out of the ground.
no, if you just make a purchase or have an emergency repair/bill/etc you can just simply already eat the stuff you've stockpiled and get your food cost down to literally $0 for a month or two. plus, you are offsetting inflation, hell i see that already. frozen chunks of pork i'm pulling out of the freezer from last winter were several bucks cheaper than the pieces i'm replacing them with. so again, if you buy when you *can*, you'll offset the inflation and/or gouging of buying when you *need*.

that pays for itself, ask me how I know. i dunno, i learned it from my great grandparents who went thru the depression. now i guess it's called "prepping", but it was just how they lived.
You don’t offset inflation, you have to replenish stock. Unless your idea is to wait it out until deflation occurs, which is rather rare.

the emergency bill issue could be solved by emergency savings.

I’m all for keeping things on hand, within reason. The people that stockpile enough food to last years…. Or load up freezers, yet don’t consider how to keep them powered when power goes out for days, weeks. You just lost a lot of money. Like everything, are the problems caused by the solutions worth the price?

Last edited:

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
>you don't have to prep
>you have to replenish stock if you eat into your prepping
yeah i dunno, i mean.... you don't *have* to replenish anything? but yes, if you use something that you paid less for you will have to pay more when you restock no doubt.

i would hope that anyone who has freezers has generators to power them and gas. obviously if gas is gone, like you said there are bigger problems. you can get a LOT of food for just a few hundred. 20 lbs bags of rice are like $15-$18 and 5 of them would last a year easily, even eating it every day. that doesn't take up that much space, it's easy to keep safe/free of bugs, and it's like $100. that's a nice dinner with drinks and apps at your favorite restaurant. for food that *could* if nothing else be cheap meals.

i guess finding the "within reason" line is the deal, and no doubt there are a LOT of products on the market designed to take more of your money than keep you alive (but everything being sold is being sold for profit, always assumed), but there's also just straight up cheap food that will last at least a year. if the zombies haven't risen, you just eat it and buy some more because hopefully you aren't completely broke. obviously saving money is a thing too, but spending an extra $100 or two on groceries for a month of two to make a stockpile is definitely not a bad idea ever imo.

>could be used with savings
or you could just eat rice and beans. you live your way, i'll live mine. "savings" depending on how they are "saved" can turn into nothing real quick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom