NFL - Now standing for the National Anthem - for "reasons"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess the hit to the bottom line was to much for them...
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23582533/nfl-owners-approve-new-national-anthem-policy
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23582533/nfl-owners-approve-new-national-anthem-policy

ATLANTA -- NFL owners have unanimously approved a new national anthem policy that requires players to stand if they are on the field during the performance but gives them the option to remain in the locker room if they prefer, it was announced Wednesday.

The policy subjects teams to a fine if a player or any other team personnel do not show respect for the anthem. That includes any attempt to sit or kneel, as dozens of players have done during the past two seasons to protest racial inequality and police brutality. Those teams also will have the option to fine any team personnel, including players, for the infraction.

And to provide the rebuttal from the Dims...

http://theweek.com/articles/774828/there-are-no-winners-nfls-new-national-anthem-rules

But it is the substance of the debate itself, rather than the NFL's hamfisted attempts to wriggle out of it, that is most troubling. In a country that is becoming increasingly diverse in almost every way, putting national pride and racial justice in opposition to one another is a prescription for disaster.

This is especially true given the reality that our national symbols and history can have more complicated meaning for communities of color and descendants of slaves. It is also true that the method of the protest could scarcely be designed to be more offensive to the disproportionately white and conservative fanbase who most need to be reached about police brutality and issues with disparate impact on minorities.

Last edited:

bobbydacat

New to the site!
Reaction score
While I personally think you should be taken out back and beat for disrespecting the flag, I totally understand these people are free to do whatever they want during the anthem... but then again the NFL should be allowed to fine their employees for making their business look bad (just like any employer is allowed to discipline their employees).

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly, the NFL is a privately owned collection of businesses and they can do with their businesses what they wish. If they are not willing to forego profits in order to make a political statement then this is the kind of policy they needed to enact.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^^This is the same thought related to "Dicks", etc. They are properly formed businesses, and have the right to set policies as they wish, and must suffer the conquencies of their policies. NFL will now suffer, or enjoy, the conquencies of their new policy. I personally think they will probably regain some of the audience they lost last year, but the negative statements started almost immediately.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I consider it way "too frigen late" now to make any difference to me of anything they might decide to do. The NFL and most of the players burned their bridges with me after the second game they put up with this crap. JMO

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom