Non retired Vet question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wanting an ID card to prove I'm a Vet so I don't have to carry around my discharge paperwork. Too much personal info on it that I want people to see.

I asked the VA but they said I make too much money to get a VA card.

I'm not looking for medical help. I know the state gives Vets free admission to state owned parks and museums.

I sometimes wear a hat that says, "Gulf War Veteran" and when people see it they say they gives Vets a discount.

Is there any Government agency that you can get a Vet ID from?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's not a "recognized official" I.D., but I keep a set of my dog tags on my key ring. Other than that and your word, I don't think there is any.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never heard of one other than the retiree card and the tax exempt cards they give to certain higher disability ratings...

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe keep a phone pic or get a mini laminated version of your DD214 to have with you?

BTW, For those Vets who don't know or have let it slide, make sure you keep your original DD214 in a safe place and also consider filing a copy of it with the courthouse. That way you have an official, legal copy if you did ever lose it.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only problem with filing it with the courthouse is all your personal information becomes public record. I've never heard the "make too much money" for a VA card issue, sucks because this is what I was planning on doing.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only problem with filing it with the courthouse is all your personal information becomes public record. I've never heard the "make too much money" for a VA card issue, sucks because this is what I was planning on doing.

I wonder if there is any way to keep it unpublic?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think there is a plan to offer a veterans designation on the Oklahoma drivers license. http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110113_16_A5_CUTLIN781592

http://okdav.org/message-from-rita-aragon-maj-gen-ret-state-secretary-of-veteran-affairs/

Message from Maj. Gen. (ret) Rita Aragon, Secretary of Military and Veterans Affairs
Posted on February 29, 2012 by ron
Maj. Gen. (ret.) Secretary of Military and Veterans Affairs Rita*Aragon would like to inform the veterans of Oklahoma that*the EVERY VETERAN COUNTS program is running strong.* It was highlighted on THE FORUM on Sunday on OETA. OETA has filmed a*paid service announcement*that they will host in order to register all U.S. veterans in the state of Oklahoma, it will be available to all news outlets by March 1, 2012*on their public site:* www.ebenefits.va.gov

The more veterans we register in Oklahoma, the more benefits will be available for those who need to use them. A basic account can be*registered on www.ebenefits.va.gov in less than 10 minutes. The Oklahoma State Library System has offered to register any vet who goes to any state library and asks for help.

In addition, as we get*veterans registered, we have legislation in with the DPS (Department of Public Safety) to authorize all veterans have a seal affixed to his/her drivers’ license or state ID (for those who cannot drive) at NO cost to the Veteran. We should be able to implement this by early fall. Veterans will need to*take their discharge document (active duty DD214, Guard/ NGB 22, or*WWII veterans have a variety of documents) to the Oklahoma TAG Agency of their choice to have the veteran seal affixed to it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom