Non retired Vet question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last I heard you had to have 10% service connection for VA Medical Center to issue a photo ID card. I still have my VA Service Connected Priority card issued years ago (1979) that did not have a photo. Lowes will not accept it, but most places do.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your service connected 10% or higher you can get an ID card from a VAMC. You might call 1-800-827-1000 and ask the VA rep if they can fax you a letter stating you are a Veteran. Not sure if they can do that or not.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last I heard you had to have 10% service connection for VA Medical Center to issue a photo ID card. I still have my VA Service Connected Priority card issued years ago (1979) that did not have a photo. Lowes will not accept it, but most places do.

Down with Lowes!!!!!!!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Maybe your card needs updating (the VA has changed the card since 1979), or your local Lowes needs some educating:

"Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients. This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.

To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.

Or:

Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).

We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only."

Last edited:

brennan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad volunteers for the VFW in Ada. He gets Vet's the benefits they deserve. I do not have his work info. but you should be able to Google the info for the Ada VFW.

gunnut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The only way to get a VA ID card issued to you from the VA would be to have a service connected disability, rated at 10% or higher, be a former POW, or have received a Purple Heart. These are the only ways. If you have any disability that can be connected to your military service, you should apply for VA compensation. Did you fire weapons, or work around large engines in the military, maybe you have hearing loss or tinnitus?

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't have to have 10% disability or higher, meet any income criteria, be a former POW, or have received a Purple Heart to get Dept. of VA photo ID card, the one they issue you at the VA health clinic, if you are an honorably discharged Gulf War Vet (2 Aug 1990-11Nov 1998). I am a Vietnam Vet and I got one when I signed up for benefits and had no disability and my income was higher that $30,000. You go to the orientation at the VA clinic and after the orientation they issue the photo ID. There are 8 priority groups with priority group 6 being the one you qualify for as a war vet http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/priority_groups.asp. Lowes and all the other places accept this card. You also don't have to use the VA clinic for health care if you don't want to after you get the ID card but why not? Just call them and they will help you and answer any questions 1-877-222-8387.
I am now serviced connected and they issued me a new ID that states that and I'm now priority category 2. BTW, I'm reading this from my new Veterans Heath Benefits Book that I just got in the mail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom