Non retired Vet question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thank you CKTAD, you have other benifits as a veteran other than medical, that registering with the VA is good for. Did you all know that you get burial benifits as a vet? Not a lot but it's available. For the real poop go to va.gov for info or go to the VA clinic and they'll help you out. Another good source is most VFW's will help you fill out the paperwork to get registered. Goldsby is a very good place to get some info & help. EVERY vet is eligible!

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't have to have 10% disability or higher, meet any income criteria, be a former POW, or have received a Purple Heart to get Dept. of VA photo ID card, the one they issue you at the VA health clinic, if you are an honorably discharged Gulf War Vet (2 Aug 1990-11Nov 1998). I am a Vietnam Vet and I got one when I signed up for benefits and had no disability and my income was higher that $30,000. You go to the orientation at the VA clinic and after the orientation they issue the photo ID. There are 8 priority groups with priority group 6 being the one you qualify for as a war vet http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/priority_groups.asp. Lowes and all the other places accept this card. You also don't have to use the VA clinic for health care if you don't want to after you get the ID card but why not? Just call them and they will help you and answer any questions 1-877-222-8387.
I am now serviced connected and they issued me a new ID that states that and I'm now priority category 2. BTW, I'm reading this from my new Veterans Heath Benefits Book that I just got in the mail.

Thanks for this info!

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, I guess if your a. non war, boots on the ground, vet who served during the time of a war, you are just plain out of the picture. During the Vietnam War I served in Korea for 13 months. As far as the VFW is concerned you are a war vet because Korea is a police action in a state of truce with no declared end. As far a the VA is concerned serving in Korea under truce does not qualify for benefits, unless you can prove that what you did there caused you a medical problem. So in my case I make to much money as a retired person and I never got injured. So am I considered a vet that can get anything? Or was my three years of service not countable. I wasn't a draftee I was RA. Just lucky to have not gone to Vietnam.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I guess if your a. non war, boots on the ground, vet who served during the time of a war, you are just plain out of the picture. During the Vietnam War I served in Korea for 13 months. As far as the VFW is concerned you are a war vet because Korea is a police action in a state of truce with no declared end. As far a the VA is concerned serving in Korea under truce does not qualify for benefits, unless you can prove that what you did there caused you a medical problem. So in my case I make to much money as a retired person and I never got injured. So am I considered a vet that can get anything? Or was my three years of service not countable. I wasn't a draftee I was RA. Just lucky to have not gone to Vietnam.

Not true Stan. If you are a Vietnam era veteran you may qualify for some benefits. My uncle served in the Army in Germany during Vietnam....and decades later when his health declined and he hit rock bottom, my family was able to get him into the VA for treatment. He ultimately passed away due to poor life choices...but the VA gave him a few more years.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stan, call the number in my previous post and they can help you. You can also talk to the service officer at the local DAV post. You don't have to be a member to get their help. Your VFW should have a service officer but I found the DAV to be more helpful. And as ByrdC130 said Goldsby is the best place to go for help in Oklahoma and your not too far from them. They had a story on them in the VFW magazine a couple months ago. Here is their website http://www.veteranscorner.org/.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your household makes more then $30k a year then you don't qualify for VA benefits. If you don't qualify then you can't get a VA card.

Don't mean to sound too crass but this is 100% wrong. I have one and I use the VA on a monthly basis, in fact as my primary healthcare provider. It's just not free. It is way cheaper than you'd pay for even the best healhcare coverage. And trust me, the VA isn't what it used to be. Their doctors that I have seen in Austin, Dallas, & Kansas City are 10 times better than any I have seen in the civilian world. I asked one about this the last time...he said it's because he's a contractor and he gets paid to spend more time with the patients. Unlike his civilian practice where it's all about the numbers. If anyone has a question you can PM me. I am not disabled, service-connected anything, and I make more than $30K. I am just a Vet. Go down there yourself and fill out their paperwork and you can get it from the horse's mouth!

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree the VA healthcare is a 1,000 times better than it was in the 1970's, that's why I stopped using them until a couple years ago. Also, if you have private health insurance the VA can sometimes get reimbursed for treating you including the RX's.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The rules have changed alot over the past 10 years or so. Back during Desert Storm/Shield, if you were Guard or Reserve, you had to be activated for 90+ days to get Vet status. Now if you go to boot camp for 1 day, Guard-Reservers-Active Duty, you now qualify for Veterens Status. This means they now qualify for VA home loans and those kinds of VA benifits.

VA health care coverage is now based on income as to how much co-pay you could be charged for a non service connected issue. And if you have other health coverage, the VA and that insurance pays for your health care.

But like I said, a lot has changed over the years and most of what was ,isn't anymore, espically if you served in the last 10 years. I highly encourage everyone who has served in the military to go to the web site or to the VA center and ask! You earned this benifit. And the quality of the facility and doctors is a lot better than what I was expecting. My wait times are a heck of a lot shorter than at my civi doc's office.

Another great place for info and help is the Okla Dept of Veteran Affairs on the second floor of the VA Med Center.

Latest posts

Top Bottom