Nosler ballistic tip fail - TWICE!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2680 FPS on chrony from 20" barrel
Green tip bullets

Somethings gotta be wrong with the projo. That bullet at that speed should of been right where I wanted to be on expansion for that game ( as long as it was accurate) I gotta say I am NOT an authority of hunting at all.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot a lot of deer and an elk with the Nosler/Winchester Combined Technology bullet (silver tip black bullet). The deer have all died well as did the elk but the elk was only 30 yrds at the shot and the bullet blew apart. Just small pieces was all I recovered and no exit. I will not use it again on elk but will keep using it on deer.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Haven't had any problems from the 180gr and 150gr BT's out of a .30-378WBY, 120gr and 140gr BT's out of my .280 and .280AI, 225gr BT from my .350 Rem mag.............and 140gr BT's from my 7mmBR poking along at 2100fps

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ballistic tips are ok, but I prefer the Nosler Accubond.

When these BA boys hit they expand.

I have shot several deer with them in various calibers and they do their job if you do yours with shot placement.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a similar experience several years ago and switched to Barnes and will never go back. I went on a wyoming mule deer hunt three year ago and the outfitter stated on his web sight and multiple times in the contract and follow up conversations in no uncertain terms that absolutely no nosler bullets of any kind were allowed. I was kind of surprised he wouldn't even allow the partition. When I got there and asked a guide why he said they had had some "pro" hunters a few years before who made great shots with nosler bt but the bullets failed and several animals where never found. Hence the new rule. I have had good results with the partition and accubond and horrible performance with their "hunting ballistic tips" I'll continue to shoot their "varmint ballistic tips" at prarie dogs and the occasional coyote but stick with either a tsx ttsx or mrx from Barnes for anything bigger and have no regrets.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a similar experience several years ago and switched to Barnes and will never go back. I went on a wyoming mule deer hunt three year ago and the outfitter stated on his web sight and multiple times in the contract and follow up conversations in no uncertain terms that absolutely no nosler bullets of any kind were allowed. I was kind of surprised he wouldn't even allow the partition. When I got there and asked a guide why he said they had had some "pro" hunters a few years before who made great shots with nosler bt but the bullets failed and several animals where never found. Hence the new rule. I have had good results with the partition and accubond and horrible performance with their "hunting ballistic tips" I'll continue to shoot their "varmint ballistic tips" at prarie dogs and the occasional coyote but stick with either a tsx ttsx or mrx from Barnes for anything bigger and have no regrets.
Thanks for sharing.
The reason I went with BT was because it was very close in accuracy and trajectory of 155 Amax that the rifle really likes, but I feel that Amax expands too fast and too violent; but I'd rather have some meat damage than deer walking away to die in next county with needle hole through the chest.

Fool my once shame on you, fool me twice ... You can't get fooled again.
- W.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reports of BT failures run counter to my experience. Have been loading 130 grainers for .270 (at a little over 3,000 fps mv) for years with 0 issues and have lost count of the number of deer taken with them between me, my kids, my hunting bud, and his kids. This year my bud's son hit a 140 lb buck at a ranged 176 yards. Broke the onside shoulder, made jelly of the heart and lungs and stopped under the off side hide. DRT.

The little feller in my avatar fell to one a few years ago. Don't recall the bullet placement but remember he died quickly.

Started using 7mm 120 gr BTs for the daughters 7-30 Waters this year. Just a little over 2500 fps from 21" Contender Carbine barrel. Shooting down at a pretty steep angle, she shot the buck pictured in the post 'em thread at about 75 yards and had a complete pass through with a golf ball size exit wound. Took out a lung and bottom half of the heart. As is common with heart shots he ran about 25 yards.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IME, last season 180gr BT out of my .300 WM, MV just over 3k fps, torso shot on a 3yr old buck at 210yd (calculated impact 2350 fps) = dramatic upset, no exit, bases of both lungs mush, diaphragm ruptured by shock and top portion of liver jellied. Deer ran about 50-75 ft into the trees and went down. Didn't recover the bullet, but impressed at the damage.

I add this not to repeat boring hunt stories, but to illustrate an example of BT expansion at common impact velocities.

For the OP, ultimately, you've got to have confidence in your ammo. Doubt that the BTs were defective, so unless your impact velocity was really slow or it was somehow a skinny deer, it's time to move on to another round that does what you want in your rifle.

Besides, load development is part of the fun!

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Started using 7mm 120 gr BTs for the daughters 7-30 Waters this year. Just a little over 2500 fps from 21" Contender Carbine barrel. Shooting down at a pretty steep angle, she shot the buck pictured in the post 'em thread at about 75 yards and had a complete pass through with a golf ball size exit wound. Took out a lung and bottom half of the heart. As is common with heart shots he ran about 25 yards.

Can you help me find the post?

Latest posts

Top Bottom