Not the start I was hoping for with my new 9mm Shield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I received my M&P Shield back last week after sending it back to S&W on April 13 for warranty repair.

The Repair Order Completion document indicated they evaluated and repaired the Shield by replacing the slide stop. A call to service about the barrel and target concern indicated the barrel was evaluated and cleaned and that it was fine. It looked good when I got it back so whatever they did seemed to work.

I have been able to put a total of 150 rounds of Federal 115 grain aluminum and FMJ through it Friday and today at the local outdoor gun range and it worked just fine. I also didn't experience any of the target showering I noticed before, so it may not have been gun related.

Really good feeling gun that is easy to shoot well. Brought it home and field stripped and cleaned it up both times and it all came apart and went back together just like it should.

I appreciate the free warranty work and hope this Shield is problem-free from this point on.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I received my M&P Shield back last week after sending it back to S&W on April 13 for warranty repair.

The Repair Order Completion document indicated they evaluated and repaired the Shield by replacing the slide stop. A call to service about the barrel and target concern indicated the barrel was evaluated and cleaned and that it was fine. It looked good when I got it back so whatever they did seemed to work.

I have been able to put a total of 150 rounds of Federal 115 grain aluminum and FMJ through it Friday and today at the local outdoor gun range and it worked just fine. I also didn't experience any of the target showering I noticed before, so it may not have been gun related.

Really good feeling gun that is easy to shoot well. Brought it home and field stripped and cleaned it up both times and it all came apart and went back together just like it should.

I appreciate the free warranty work and hope this Shield is problem-free from this point on.

I'm glad you got it resolved favorably and that SW provided good customer service.

That being said....

Glock. haha

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad you got it resolved favorably and that SW provided good customer service.

That being said....

Glock. haha

Since you brought it up...I did buy a Glock 19 Gen 4 in April of 2016. Had brass to the face issues with it from the beginning and ended up getting a Glock 26 in exchange from the factory. Ended up eventually selling the Glock 26 to get a NIB S&W Model 36 revolver I wanted more at the time.

From a Glock site posting I did on the experience:

After much shopping and consideration, I bought a new Glock 19 Gen 4 from my local gun shop. After an initial cleaning and lubrication of the pistol I excitedly took it to the outdoor gun range around noon with four 50 round boxes of store bought 115-124 grain manufactured brass jacketed ammo.

I began getting brass thrown back in my face and head with the first magazine. I changed magazines and ammo and got the same result. I tried combinations of ammo, magazines, grip positions, tempo, and anything else I could think of and the brass to face continued. It didn't happen every time, but some of the brass was ejected back so hard it scratched a lens on my prescription sunglasses and left marks where it hit my face.

I went home and cleaned and lubricated the gun again, thinking that might help. I took another 100 rounds of ammunition out to the range with the same brass to face issue. I asked a competitive shooter to shoot my gun thinking it could be me, but he had the same BTF problem. I was finished shooting the gun, with the final BTF ratio about 20% of the total rounds fired.

I called Glock that following Monday (local gun shop was closed) and spoke with a representative about the BTF problem. He was very nice and emailed me a free FedEx return label and asked me to ship the gun back to them for review and, if necessary, repair. I did so and waited for Glock to contact me.

A little more than a week later I got a call from a Glock pistolsmith. He said he and another person had taken my Glock to the pistol range after having looked at it. I thought I was going to hear that they couldn't recreate the BTF and that the problem must be with my grip or ammo or something. I guess I anticipated hearing that because of how frequently in the different Glock forums and gun sites people experiencing BTF are told by some long-time Glock owners that they must be limp wristing the gun or shooting ammo that is too weak.

What the Glock rep did tell me was that they both shot my pistol and experienced the same BTF issue that I did with the same frequency. He told me my gun was not repairable and they would like to send me a new Glock instead while destroying the one I had sent them. I was ecstatic! Not only did he confirm I was not to blame and that the gun was the problem, but he was going to send me a brand new Glock and not try to replace a part at a time trying to get it to work or blame me for my BTF problem.

I told him this was my first Glock and that I really weighed getting the 26 or 19. We talked about the two and he asked what my primary use of the gun would be. I told him primarily conceal carry and he said, based on what I was saying and had experienced, that he would like to put me in a 26. I told him that would be great, so he asked if I would like a Gen 3 or 4. I told him I liked the adjustable back strap option and grip texture on the 4, so he said a 4 it is. I had it shipped to my local gun shop where I purchased it and waited for it to arrive.

When the new gun arrived the Glock Armorer at their shop got the FedEx box out and we opened it up. I looked at the brand new 26 Gen 4 and was very pleased with how it looked and felt. I had almost bought the 26 instead of the 19 the first time. He asked to look at it and pointed out Glock had not only sent me a new 26 Gen 4, but they had also installed factory night sights. I had no idea they were going to do that, but what an example of going above and beyond what is expected or required. He apologized for the inconvenience of having to send it back for warranty and offered to help if I have any problems in the future with the new gun. I left very happy!

Based on my personal experience in this case I could not be more pleased and impressed with Glock's warranty and customer service. They were responsive and pleasant on the phone, paid for the return shipping, contacted me in an acceptable amount of time, admitted their gun was at fault and that it wasn't me who caused the BTF, offered a new gun and even let me choose what I wanted, and added factory night sites as a surprise upgrade at no cost.

I would have rather not had the BTF issue and just shot the Glock for thousands of trouble-free rounds, but it is a manufactured mechanical device and things can go wrong. I can't think of how they could have made the warranty experience any more pleasant for me.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They could at least have given you free ammo for life...

That was Option #1 from Glock, but the catch was I had to take back the Glock 19 that was causing brass to the face.

I considered it, but when I found the price of a vintage Houndskull bascinet helmet to protect my face and head from the brass I took Option #2, the replacement gun.

upload_2017-5-29_21-5-1.png

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was Option #1 from Glock, but the catch was I had to take back the Glock 19 that was causing brass to the face.

I considered it, but when I found the price of a vintage Houndskull bascinet helmet to protect my face and head from the brass I took Option #2, the replacement gun.

View attachment 101630

With a mask like that, you wouldn't need a gun. The bad guys would run away haha

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you.
I had an issue with the brass coming back into my face with my Kimber .45. The issue was the powder/bullet combo causing the slide to be out of time with the ejection. That one brass that got between my glasses and eyeball made me look for a new load. Blue Dot was the powder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom