Obama announces EO plans for the immediate future

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I recall Illinois law correctly, a non-resident may purchase ammo there with no requirement for an ammo permit. The permit requirement is for IL residents only.
Already in existence. When my son lived in Illinois he had to have an issued buy the state permit in order to buy a box of .22 shells. We were in Walmart with him. I wanted to buy some 22 ammo. Unbeknownst to me the guy asks for my ammo purchase permit and I laughed thinking he was kidding. NOT. My son had one so he got it out and bought the ammo himself, followed by handing it over to me in the car!!

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If a private seller gets the FFL dealer to handle a sales transaction for him, then doesn't that bring sales tax into the equation? That's where I struggle.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a private seller gets the FFL dealer to handle a sales transaction for him, then doesn't that bring sales tax into the equation? That's where I struggle.
Not as I understand it. The FFL simply does the background check, and collects a transfer fee, but all other financial arrangements are still between buyer and seller.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The infuriating part is they wanted to reduce the number of FFL dealers 20 years ago...

For those who do not remember the history, the highest number of FFLs occurred in 1992, during the Clinton administration. In 1975, just 7 years after the enactment of the Gun Control Act of 1968, the number of FFLs (dealers and pawn brokers) was 149,242. By 1992 the number had increased to 259,113. That is when the Clinton administration announced that there were too many FFLs. It was not alleged that the small FFLs were committing illegal acts. It was acknowledged that the FFLs were extremely law abiding. The Clinton administration enacted regulations, later written into the statutes by the Congress, explicitly to *reduce the number* of FFLs. The changes required an FFL to have a store front, to send in proof that they did not violate local zoning regulations, raised the price of an FFL from $30 to $200 (the original cost was $1) and required fingerprints.

And now they are harping about folks selling guns without a FFL.
Pure dee boolsh!t

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So is a grandpa buying a .22 for a grandson, or a best friend selling an older shotgun to his best friend because he got a new one in-scope now for the new rules? I understand the private sellers that have a booth at a gunshow must now be FFL's, but what about Joe-sixpack who isn't "in the business" of selling guns and only sells or gives away one every now and then as illustrated above???

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Intended or unintended consequence? Say you decide to play it safe and get a dealer license to avoid becoming a target. Will the BATFE sign off if your home isn't zoned for commercial use? I know some FFL holders operate out of their homes, but some have been denied a license due to that issue. I'm not sure if there's any standardization on the subject. :(

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing in there I wasn't just like "uh, whatever, sure.." is this

Quantity and frequency of sales are relevant indicators. There is no specific threshold number of firearms purchased or sold that triggers the licensure requirement. But it is important to note that even a few transactions, when combined with other evidence, can be sufficient to establish that a person is “engaged in the business.” For example, courts have upheld convictions for dealing without a license when as few as two firearms were sold or when only one or two transactions took place, when other factors also were present.

It feels like there is a number (or formula, or criteria) somewhere, but they don't like the number and can't change it, so they are trying to make it sound as threatening as possible. Honestly, that's the biggest BS of it all. Come out and say it. If you can't do any business without a dealer involved, say it. If you can sell 5 a year or month or day without a dealer, come out and say it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom