Obama says he won't be bound by gun control ban in omnibus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatc...not-bound-by-gun-control-ban-in-spending-bill

Obama says he won't be bound by gun control ban in omnibus

By Julian Pecquet - 12/23/11 04:11 PM ET

The Obama administration won't be bound by a gun control ban in the $1 trillion spending bill for 2012, the president said Friday.

The funding provision for the federal health agency says that "none of the funds made available in this title may be used, in whole or in part, to advocate or promote gun control." The language aims to ban taxpayer dollars from supporting gun safety research.

"I have advised the Congress that I will not construe these provisions as preventing me from fulfilling my constitutional responsibility to recommend to the Congress's consideration such measures as I shall judge necessary and expedient," Obama said in a statement as he signed the bill into law.

The president's signing statement also says he could end up ignoring a provision that bars taxpayer funds for paying for the "salaries and expenses" of so-called White House czars, including the director of the White House Office of Health Reform. The office was abolished earlier this year.

That provision "could prevent me from fulfilling my constitutional responsibilities, by denying me the assistance of senior advisers and by obstructing my supervision of executive branch officials in the execution of their statutory responsibilities," Obama said. "I have informed the Congress that I will interpret these provisions consistent with my constitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed."

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't get anymore unconstitutional than a "Presidential Signing Statement", at least when it comes to the Pres actually acting on said signing statement.

Veto it or sign it.

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no Oboma supporter but when has any politician weather dem or rep EVER been bound by the law/constitution ?? the problem is the american people are masicists and we (apparently) just love getting screwed

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya know...Ron Paul really supports and honors the constitution.

If you're tired of people thinking they are above the law you may want to give him a look.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad y'all like how the country is currently being run. We obviously don't need any kooks in the White House doing crazy stuff like abiding by the Constitution! :rolleyes2

Seriously, just go ahead and wave the white flag and drop your drawers, so the next Newt Romney RINO can help you pretend you're gonna save this country while they slip you the high hard one! :giveup:

Latest posts

Top Bottom