Obama says he won't be bound by gun control ban in omnibus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SMS,

You have every right to say what you will and I (or anyone else) have every right to say that you should stop because your approach is wrong-headed. So, in effect you WILL be told to stop by me or anyone else who wants to - you just don't have to listen! (That's a joke)

I have no beef with you, I just disagree with your conclusions. I really wasn't trying to say "don't speak up" but rather trying to make the argument that there were better, more realistic (IMO) ways to affect the system and the body politic.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get the joke...and no hard feelings.

I just believe that calling a spade a spade is the first step in trying to fix anything....politics, life, health, whatever.

I won't/can't brush off our current mess as some polite extension of the eternal struggle for Constitutional balance. We have tipped to far to the unconstiutional side of the scale, a polite game of tug of war won't balance it back out.

We need a drastic systemic and philosophical rebirth....and I don't think that is going to come from the White House, so I really don't care who gets elected. As long as our people are fat, lazy, and continue to vote for politicians who promise them the equivalent of Mardi Gras beads, we won't advance.

Tell me how to change that and I'm all ears.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get the joke...and no hard feelings.

I just believe that calling a spade a spade is the first step in trying to fix anything....politics, life, health, whatever.

I won't/can't brush off our current mess as some polite extension of the eternal struggle for Constitutional balance. We have tipped to far to the unconstiutional side of the scale, a polite game of tug of war won't balance it back out.

We need a drastic systemic and philosophical rebirth....and I don't think that is going to come from the White House, so I really don't care who gets elected. As long as our people are fat, lazy, and continue to vote for politicians who promise them the equivalent of Mardi Gras beads, we won't advance.

Tell me how to change that and I'm all ears.

Amen! It has to come from withing the two parties. They've been hijacked and bastardized to the point of becoming unrecognizable.

sky428

T2 Armory
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ironically Obama has in some ways helped the gun industry. That fact that he is so anti-gun has really increased the volume of firearms sales in the US. Some have felt like they better purchase the guns that they want now while they still can because they might not be able to in the future. I guess some FFL dealers can thank Obama for the record sales!

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amen! It has to come from withing the two parties. They've been hijacked and bastardized to the point of becoming unrecognizable.
No. It has to come from outside the parties. It has to come from the people. They have to stand up and declare, in a loud, bold voice, that they're tired of what the parties are giving them, and vote the bastards out. The parties are very, very good at giving people what they want; the trouble is, right now, our culture wants dependency and freebies, with a side of American Idol.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatc...not-bound-by-gun-control-ban-in-spending-bill

Obama says he won't be bound by gun control ban in omnibus

By Julian Pecquet - 12/23/11 04:11 PM ET

The Obama administration won't be bound by a gun control ban in the $1 trillion spending bill for 2012, the president said Friday.

The funding provision for the federal health agency says that "none of the funds made available in this title may be used, in whole or in part, to advocate or promote gun control." The language aims to ban taxpayer dollars from supporting gun safety research.

"I have advised the Congress that I will not construe these provisions as preventing me from fulfilling my constitutional responsibility to recommend to the Congress's consideration such measures as I shall judge necessary and expedient," Obama said in a statement as he signed the bill into law.

The president's signing statement also says he could end up ignoring a provision that bars taxpayer funds for paying for the "salaries and expenses" of so-called White House czars, including the director of the White House Office of Health Reform. The office was abolished earlier this year.

That provision "could prevent me from fulfilling my constitutional responsibilities, by denying me the assistance of senior advisers and by obstructing my supervision of executive branch officials in the execution of their statutory responsibilities," Obama said. "I have informed the Congress that I will interpret these provisions consistent with my constitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed."

Sounds like grounds for impeachment and removal from office to me. Wouldn't breaking a federal law constitute a high crime? If so...

Of course the demowits in the Senate would never convict...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. It has to come from outside the parties. It has to come from the people. They have to stand up and declare, in a loud, bold voice, that they're tired of what the parties are giving them, and vote the bastards out. The parties are very, very good at giving people what they want; the trouble is, right now, our culture wants dependency and freebies, with a side of American Idol.

Actually, no. The two parties do not listen to the people. They listen to themselves and feed everyone else whatever line of BS they think will mollify them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom