OG&E Smarthours anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Y'all can expect those savings to go away and your bills increase by 50-75% if obummer gets his way to bankrupt the coal fired energy.
He stated that as a goal in his sucessful run for the president.
So far his "enviromental" goals like Solindra, have failed miserably, and the wind energy debacle would not exist if not for Government subsidies.
If the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow, you'll be relegated to burning candles with his program.

Natural gas is wonderful, but more expensive than coal fired base load plants.

Converting, or building new gas plants, would also be passed on to the consumer in the form of higher energy prices.

Your electric bills would increase by a substantial amount for many years while the utilites recovered their investments.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Y'all can expect those savings to go away and your bills increase by 50-75% if obummer gets his way to bankrupt the coal fired energy.
He stated that as a goal in his sucessful run for the president.
So far his "enviromental" goals like Solindra, have failed miserably, and the wind energy debacle would not exist if not for Government subsidies.
If the sun doesn't shine and the wind doesn't blow, you'll be relegated to burning candles with his program.

Natural gas is wonderful, but more expensive than coal fired base load plants.

Converting, or building new gas plants, would also be passed on to the consumer in the form of higher energy prices.

Your electric bills would increase by a substantial amount for many years while the utilites recovered their investments.
It's already started he ain't waiting on his second term. Hard to believe they in light of the fact they need Virginia so badly. An Excerpt:

The announcement that 1,200 coal-mining jobs have been eliminated across central Appalachia has sparked renewed cries that Obama administration policies are crippling domestic-energy production and jobs -- and is already factoring into the 2012 presidential race.
Alpha Natural Resources announced Tuesday its plan to cut the positions and scale back coal production by 16 million tons annually -- which would result in eight mine closings in Virginia, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Four-hundred workers will be laid off immediately, though the company reportedly may try to re-hire some of the 1,200.
Kevin Crutchfield, the company’s chief executive officer, said the lay-offs and the closings of the non-union mines are the result a difficult market in which power plants are switching to abundant, less-expensive natural gas and "a regulatory environment that's aggressively aimed at constraining the use of coal."

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't really done the math. Wouldn't be a valid comparison anyway. I had to have a new central HVAC system installed a couple or three months ago and had more insulation blown in too. But I'm sure it's saving me some. I still have to get new windows as I'm losing a ton of efficiency there and I actually dropped my normal setting down with the new 16 SEER unit. My reports on the OG&E web site say I'm doing better than average. I'd save more if I'd get up earlier and shut my computer down at 2:00, but work doesn't like to cooperate with that much. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say anywhere from $20 to $40 a month depending on if I can shut stuff down during the high and critical periods. You are on the low rate of .050672 per kilowatt hour for 19 hours of every day, so if you can manage it right the savings could be significant. My wife's uncle is a night owl and he's saving a bunch.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't really done the math. Wouldn't be a valid comparison anyway. I had to have a new central HVAC system installed a couple or three months ago and had more insulation blown in too. But I'm sure it's saving me some. I still have to get new windows as I'm losing a ton of efficiency there and I actually dropped my normal setting down with the new 16 SEER unit. My reports on the OG&E web site say I'm doing better than average. I'd save more if I'd get up earlier and shut my computer down at 2:00, but work doesn't like to cooperate with that much. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say anywhere from $20 to $40 a month depending on if I can shut stuff down during the high and critical periods. You are on the low rate of .050672 per kilowatt hour for 19 hours of every day, so if you can manage it right the savings could be significant. My wife's uncle is a night owl and he's saving a bunch.

It was on the front page of my bill. Was it not in yours?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was on the front page of my bill. Was it not in yours?

LOL. I never look at them, I just login and pay from there. But I just did look and last month it was $26.44 saved. Like I said if you and your wife work outside of the home you could improve on that pretty easily. Also if you have a pool, cycling your pump off would be a big help. I also didn't get enrolled until mid July so I missed out on a 1.5 months of the program. Next year I'll really try to cut it back during the 2-7:00 period.

Latest posts

Top Bottom